Wake Up America! You're Falling Behind

26 Apr 2011 01:27 #1 by ScienceChic
I've mentioned before that my former boss toured China last year and was astounded at all the signs extolling Chinese workers to work hard and to strive to make their company the best in the world (not the country, the world). Their business leaders are actively expanding globally with the goal being to dominate the markets. It may be full of poor, rural people, have a ton of pollution and environmental mismanagement to contend with, and spend quite a bit of its wealth on energy production, but it will be a force to be reckoned with (especially as they hold a ton of our debt now).

Rep Mike Coffman even mentioned China briefly at the Tea Party meeting last week - how they are holding exports of rare earth metals "hostage" to wrangle for whatever they want, and he was almost indignant saying he was going to fight for fair trade. I thought it sounded like good old fashioned capitalism to me! It just sucks that we're on the short end of the stick for a change...

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com ... ng-behind/
Post by: Kishore Mahbubani - Special to CNN
April 25th, 2011
Editor’s Note: The following is an edited portion of an interview with Kishore Mahbubani, the Dean of the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy at the National University of Singapore. Mahbubani previously served for 33 years in Singapore’s diplomatic service and is the author of The New Asian Hemisphere, Can Asians Think? and Beyond the Age of Innocence.

Every time the United States or the West steps into an Islamic country it presents a major geopolitical gift to China. (When the U.S. decided to intervene in Libya) China was saying, “Great, go ahead! Go into more Islamic countries. Make my day.”

If you’re a logical, long-term, hard-headed geopolitical realist thinker from America it is very, very clear that the only country that can overtake the United States in absolute power - militarily, economically, in every sense - is China.

The Islamic world will not overtake America– not in my lifetime and not in your lifetime. So America should be devoting 90% of its resources on managing China and 10% of its resources on managing the Islamic world.

A lot of my writings are intended to serve as a wake-up call to the West. I’m not anti-West nor am I anti-American - even though many people think I am. I’m actually just telling the West that you are acting against your own long-term geopolitical and economic interests in your policies towards the rest of the world.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Apr 2011 07:37 #2 by kresspin
Heard on the radio yesterday that China will surpass the U.S. in GDP or something in 2017 and will become the world economic superpower, making us second.

26 Apr 2011 09:43 #3 by FredHayek
Great point in the article. Reading the Economist, they have been warning that China has been buying up raw material sources, especially in Africa. They are even operating mines in war-torn Afghanistan.
The US military guys in Africa didn't like the decision to go into Libya. They had spent years trying to convince Africa that the US wouldn't bomb them if they got out of line and what do we do, bomb Qadaffi.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Apr 2011 10:34 #4 by deltamrey
Thanks SC - a related experience - recent. I was in Santa Clara County (Silicone Valley) last month for a 2 week business/pleasure trip. Stayed in two Resident Inns in Sunnyvale area. Had breakfast each AM in the breakfast room with mostly Asians.......few Americans of caucasian descent. Conversations lead me to believe the asians (Indians, Packs, Koreans, ) were drawing $1000.00/week room and board and about $150,000.00/year in pay. They were mostly on long term stays.

Indeed we are lost - and hundreds of thousands of good jobs (well paid) are filled by foreign engineers. We focus on booze, sex, sports......and whine. Ous schools are a joke as we all know. I have no sympathy for the parents and kids that make bad choices - McDonald's awaits.

Wake up indeed.

26 Apr 2011 11:34 #5 by Pony Soldier
My boss toured China a couple of months ago and when he got back, suggested that we all learn Chinese. Basically, it is his belief that there systems are better than what our systems are allowed to be and that they will prevail in the world economy.

26 Apr 2011 11:42 #6 by FredHayek
While I think China will become the #1 economy in the world fairly soon, people need to realize China has a bunch of issues, their one child population plan is going to cut into their labor pool, especially when many of them are males who can't find anyone to marry. And with one child and limited retirement plans, 4 grandparents and 2 parents are looking at one child to take care of them.
Or one family will be taking care of eight grandparents and four parents.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Apr 2011 11:43 #7 by OmniScience

deltamrey wrote: Indeed we are lost - and hundreds of thousands of good jobs (well paid) are filled by foreign engineers. We focus on booze, sex, sports......and whine. Ous schools are a joke as we all know. I have no sympathy for the parents and kids that make bad choices - McDonald's awaits.

Wake up indeed.

Well said. We are raising a generation of uneducated and unmotivated people with no sense of national pride, no sense of personal responsibility, and a grand sense of entitlement. It's becoming quite obvious that the Chinese have a major edge in these areas, and the U.S. is heading toward becoming a second rate country.

We're teaching gay and lesbian history instead of science and math, kids haven't read Homer, but can quote Homer Simpson, we don't have enough money for education, but we'll give tuition breaks to illegal aliens.

The future does not look bright for the children in this country. Maybe they'll end up working in China,...................for McDonalds.

26 Apr 2011 11:52 #8 by Pony Soldier
Seems some here have a very low opinion of our youth. All I can say is that you don't seem to be in touch or you watch way too much TV.

26 Apr 2011 11:55 #9 by Kate

OmniScience wrote:

deltamrey wrote: Indeed we are lost - and hundreds of thousands of good jobs (well paid) are filled by foreign engineers. We focus on booze, sex, sports......and whine. Ous schools are a joke as we all know. I have no sympathy for the parents and kids that make bad choices - McDonald's awaits.

Wake up indeed.

Well said. We are raising a generation of uneducated and unmotivated people with no sense of national pride, no sense of personal responsibility, and a grand sense of entitlement. It's becoming quite obvious that the Chinese have a major edge in these areas, and the U.S. is heading toward becoming a second rate country.

We're teaching gay and lesbian history instead of science and math, kids haven't read Homer, but can quote Homer Simpson, we don't have enough money for education, but we'll give tuition breaks to illegal aliens.

The future does not look bright for the children in this country. Maybe they'll end up working in China,...................for McDonalds.

I've been trying to stay away from this board, just popping in now and then to read the "insults," but this post has me seeing red. Teaching gay & lesbian history INSTEAD of science and math? Where? What's your source for that? Uneducated? Unmotivated? No sense of national pride? Where do you live? I'm here in Conifer and I can tell you that my kids are excelling in science, math, english, spanish, sports - you name it! Most of the kids at the high school are highly motivated, doing much more beyond the curriculum than is required. Many are taking advanced placement courses. All my kids have read The Odyssey By Homer - and a lot more! National pride? You bet they have it. Go to a football or basketball or baseball game and see if they all stand and are respectful during the anthem. Most have their hands over their hearts. Entitlement? My kids have after school jobs in addition to extra-curricular activities. They work hard for what they get.

I don't know how you think you can make these blanket statements and not get called on the rug for them. From where I sit, the future with our kids in charge looks pretty rosy to me.

End rant.

26 Apr 2011 12:01 #10 by Pony Soldier
Kate, don't get upset. Just picture "Grumpy Old Men" when you see either of those two post.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds