Would you rather send your kid to a school w/ or w/o cop(s)?

02 May 2011 10:26 #11 by ComputerBreath
The police presence is because the administrators and/or teachers do not feel safe at the school.
The administrators/teachers do not feel safe at the school because the students are out of control.
The students are out of control because their parents or guardians do not discipline them and leave it up to the administrators/teachers to do so.
The administrators/teachers do not discipline the students because the parents/guardians have complained when it has happened in the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 May 2011 10:30 #12 by Local_Historian

Trouble wrote: I'm in and out of schools all day long, every day. Funny how I find so many of SRO's sitting in their offices, tucked away from where the kids are. Wasteful use of resources. JMTCW.

Exactly. If you can't even get out of your office and be in the halls, then why are you there?

The one high school I taught in had his office positioned in the main hall, right at the intersection of two main halls. His door was always open when he was in there, and he could see it all going on. But he was also out and about. It was an ideal placement for it. And the funny thing? That spot wasn't originally meant to be an office - it was originally a storage area.

02 May 2011 10:32 #13 by Local_Historian

ComputerBreath wrote: The police presence is because the administrators and/or teachers do not feel safe at the school.
The administrators/teachers do not feel safe at the school because the students are out of control.
The students are out of control because their parents or guardians do not discipline them and leave it up to the administrators/teachers to do so.
The administrators/teachers do not discipline the students because the parents/guardians have complained when it has happened in the past.

If the administrators and teachers cannot figure out how to control the kids, then they need new jobs. It's not that hard; I can do it, and I'm a not very big female. Though I obviously speak my mind and never had an issue with getting loud and bossy when needed. But then, I started as a school bus driver - lol !

But I stand by it - if you cannot do the whole of the job, step away from the job and find a new career.

03 May 2011 10:59 #14 by ComputerBreath
LH...it is a matter of taking control from the kids and not letting them know they can get the upper hand. The man I credit with pushing me towards the military was one of my high school counselors. He was also my freshman math teacher and the football coach. He brooked no disobedience or disrespect. He allowed no talking between students in his classroom, and it you did talk, you were kicked out of the room. There were a few students who tried to push his buttons...they did not last long in that class. But if you abided by his rules he could be your best friend. And he was an awesome teacher, mentor, counselor, and coach!!

He also was this way as the football coach, probably why Glenwood had such a good football team when he was coach...because he engendered respect from the players, coaches, parents, and all alike!

03 May 2011 11:53 #15 by Sunshine Girl
Easy..........with. Not saying that they are EXTREMELY effective but in this day and age with for sure. I have three in schools right now.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds