A trillion $ of minerals found in Afghanistan

14 Jun 2010 07:01 #1 by JMC
NYT reported that this may be the largest mineral find ever and it may dramatically change the course of the war.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jun 2010 07:11 #2 by stcroix2
Not sure why, but my immediate thought to this: BP "found" oil at the bottom of the Gulf, too! What a mess, both places!

14 Jun 2010 07:13 - 14 Jun 2010 07:44 #3 by LOL
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/world ... erals.html

"The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like Lithium"

China has a corner on the rare earth metals used in electric car motors too.

The US has some Lithium and rare earth resources too, but they will probably never be developed.

I can hear it already "war for minerals" It was a conspiracy all along! :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

14 Jun 2010 07:40 #4 by Wayne Harrison
U.S: "Hold on oil-rich Iraq. Afghanistan is suddenly better looking and we haven't been paying her enough attention."

14 Jun 2010 08:18 #5 by FredHayek
The Economist had an article a year ago about this. While China is quietly mining Afghanistan, we are protecting their ass(ets). It would be nice to see mining pump up the standard of living there. Too bad the Chinese model seems to be to run the mine with Chinese only, so wages don't go to the locals, or even use local suppliers for equipment.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds