Reaction in Muslim World

02 May 2011 23:17 #1 by Rockdoc
We have long asked Muslims to take a stand against their extremist brthren. It is only appropriate we seek to hear their reactions to the death of Osama Bin Ladin. This from Indonesia.

Chairul Akbar, secretary general of the anti-terrorism agency in Indonesia — the world’s most populous Muslim nation and a frequent Al-Qaeda target — expressed jubilation about the news. Attacks blamed on Al-Qaeda-linked militants have killed more than 260 people in Indonesia, many of them foreign tourists.

“We welcome the death of one of the world’s most dangerous men and highly appreciate the United States’ help in crushing this global enemy,” he said. “He couldn’t be allowed to live. He helped spread a dangerous ideology all over the world, including in Indonesia.” Said Agil Siradj, chairman of Indonesia’s largest Muslim organization, Nahdlatul Ulama, said Bin Laden’s death will help restore the image of Islam as one of people, not violence and radicalism.

http://arabnews.com/world/article379804.ece

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 May 2011 02:34 #2 by ScienceChic
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=8108154
SF Muslims react to bin Laden's death
Updated at 12:58 AM today
By Carolyn Tyler and Lilian Kim

If you want to know how the Arab world feels about the capture and killing of Osama bin Laden, visit Link TV. http://www.linktv.org/ The company is based in San Francisco but has its pulse on the Middle East.

At the station they monitor and record television feeds from 44 channels in 22 Middle Eastern nations. The staff then condenses what they see into a half hour newscast called Mosaic News. http://www.linktv.org/mosaic

Executive Director Abdallah Edwan says, from monitoring the feeds, his take on the reaction to the death of bin Laden is widespread relief. "On the street, most of the reaction has been positive, everyone welcomes the news of his death, some think it's overdue," Edwan said.

There are exceptions he says, including some from Palestinians in Gaza and some out of Iranian TV.

About Link TV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_TV
http://www.linktv.org/whoweare/mission

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

03 May 2011 09:51 #3 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Reaction in Muslim World
There is plenty of opportunity to go directly to the ME news papers. The sense I get from doing so reflects a mixed bag of feelings. Some more the loss, other revel in his death because he brought so much negative attention to Islam. It is a matter of perspective and personal beliefs. The fact some Muslims speak out positively with regard to his death is quite astounding.

03 May 2011 09:55 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Reaction in Muslim World
Bravo to those who were willing to speak out against this murderer.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

03 May 2011 10:13 #5 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Reaction in Muslim World
It is nice that there is disagreement in the ME concerning the death of Bin Laden. Hopefully it will lead to a new direction of this archaic stone age religion.

Regards,
Major Bean

03 May 2011 10:47 #6 by AspenValley
I heard something interesting on the radio the other day about Osama Bin Laden's "worldview" and how it was gradually being rejected in the ME, especially among the young. The person interviewed had written a book about it and how the new generation of those wanting change in the ME rejected the idea, propounded by Bin Laden of a return to what he was as an Islamic "Golden Age", circa the sixth century. Younger people were responsible for the uprisings demanding change and democratic government in the middle east, and they reject this notion, wanting instead to move more into the modern world.

I wonder if now that he is dead if his dangerous vision of a forceful return to a fundamentalist Islamic world will fade even faster. According to the author, the winds of change were already blowing against him and his radical views. although we've been so busy "fighting terror" as though it was going to be a permanent condition that we may not have noticed that support for his views was on the wane.

03 May 2011 10:49 #7 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Reaction in Muslim World

AspenValley wrote: I heard something interesting on the radio the other day about Osama Bin Laden's "worldview" and how it was gradually being rejected in the ME, especially among the young. The person interviewed had written a book about it and how the new generation of those wanting change in the ME rejected the idea, propounded by Bin Laden of a return to what he was as an Islamic "Golden Age", circa the sixth century. Younger people were responsible for the uprisings demanding change and democratic government in the middle east, and they reject this notion, wanting instead to move more into the modern world.

I wonder if now that he is dead if his dangerous vision of a forceful return to a fundamentalist Islamic world will fade even faster. According to the author, the winds of change were already blowing against him and his radical views. although we've been so busy "fighting terror" as though it was going to be a permanent condition that we may not have noticed that support for his views was on the wane.

He might have found out that virgins are hard to come by in the modern world!

Regards,
Major Bean

03 May 2011 11:51 #8 by Residenttroll returns
It's day two and he has yet to rise from the sea....darn, he's fish food for sure!

03 May 2011 11:52 #9 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Reaction in Muslim World
Although it pains me to say it, "Good one, BM!"

We actually agree on something.

03 May 2011 17:09 #10 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Reaction in Muslim World
Major:

Is that your daughter? Lovely lady.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds