Anyone have experience using femtocells?

05 May 2011 09:08 #1 by daisypusher
What is a femtocell?

A femtocell is a small cellular base station designed for use in residential or small business environments. It connects to the service provider’s network via broadband (such as DSL or cable) and typically supports 2 to 5 mobile phones in a residential setting. A femtocell allows service providers to extend service coverage inside of your home - especially where access would otherwise be limited or unavailable - without the need for expensive cellular towers. It also decreases backhaul costs since it routes your mobile phone traffic through the IP network.

http://www.tatarasystems.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/444

I am considering this since I doubt a booster will work - no reception anywhere. Anyone have insights to offer?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 May 2011 09:10 #2 by LadyJazzer
If you already have AT&T service, they have their own version of it, and it just reached the Colorado market last year. They call theirs the "3G Microcell"

Here's more info: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/device ... rocell.jsp

05 May 2011 09:21 #3 by ScienceChic
After LJ brought it to our attention last year, I did get the Microcell from AT&T last August when I got my new iPhone.

Pros:
I love that I have fast downloads that don't count against my monthly 2G limit, and the range is better than described - it's in the utility room in the middle of my basement and my phone finds it 2 stories up and out in the garage.

Once I set it up, I moved it because I didn't want it sitting in the den next to the computer, and it didn't lose any of my devices in the time it took to move it, nor did I need an wireless extender for it to find the GPS signal, even though I moved it to a windowless room smack in the middle of my basement.

Reception is better on my phone than it was.

Cons:
I still have dropped calls, which supposedly the Microcell was to correct that problem. It's certainly less than it was before, but it still happens.

All in all, I'm very happy with having it and would recommend it.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 May 2011 09:24 #4 by LadyJazzer
Thanks for the positive feedback, SC... I wondered if it was as good as they advertised... I was about to order one for my house, since the reception had been so lousy for so many years, and just about the time I was thinking of ordering one, they apparently built a new tower close enough to my house that I no longer need it to get fairly good reception. But if things change, I will certainly consider it again...

05 May 2011 09:28 #5 by ScienceChic
You're most welcome! Thanks for mentioning the device way back when - I would never known about it except for your thread last year!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 May 2011 10:06 #6 by Something the Dog Said
I am using the Network Extender (femtocell) from Verizon. I went from no bars to 5 bars and am very impressed with it. Sprint also has a version as well. Sprint will sometimes waive the cost of the femtocell, but no luck from Verizon ($250).

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

05 May 2011 10:29 #7 by daisypusher
Thank you everyone.

05 May 2011 11:17 #8 by netdude
I use the AT&T Microcell, it works well for me. It covers the house OK (5000 sq feet is the claimed coverage) but once I go outside it has less impact on improving my calls.

05 May 2011 12:36 #9 by ShilohLady
With TMobile and a phone with the correct capabilities, you can connect to your home wifi network and use it to make/receive cell phones. No charge.

05 May 2011 12:39 #10 by HEARTLESS
Dag nab it! I thought this was on new Fembot models now available.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds