Canada Going Conservative?

05 May 2011 20:01 #1 by Rick
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ma ... hen-harper

Well it appears that Canada is moving to the right with Stephen Harper's crushing victory. This should give us a little insight into what works and what does not. Harper's plan includes eliminating the defecit by 2014-2015 (seems optimistic to me but we'll see).

While Harper's hold on the 308-member parliament has been tenuous during his five-year tenure, he has managed to nudge an instinctively centre-left country to the right. He has gradually lowered sales and corporate taxes, avoided climate change legislation, promoted Arctic sovereignty, upped military spending and extended Canada's military mission in Afghanistan

Here's the conservative platform in a nutshell:

The “Here for Canada” plan focuses on five key priorities:

Creating jobs through training, trade and low taxes.
Supporting families through our Family Tax Cut and more support for seniors and caregivers.
Eliminating the deficit by 2014-2015 by controlling spending and cutting waste.
Making our streets safe through new laws to protect children and the elderly.
Standing on guard for Canada by investing in the development of Canada’s North, cracking down on human smuggling and strengthening the Canadian Armed Forces.

So what if Canada really does take off with this strategy of cutting spending, waste, AND CORPORATE TAXES ? Will they steal more businesses from the US with their friendlier approach, or will it blow up in their faces (like I think most liberals would predict)?

I hope Obama is paying close attention to this one.
http://www.conservative.ca/policy/platform_2011/

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 May 2011 08:16 #2 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Canada Going Conservative?
So nobody thinks Canada's slide more to the right is a big deal? I guess some may not want to comment just in case a more right wing approach to economics actually works and they won't be called out on it later.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds