Rumors and partisan politics

16 Jun 2010 08:32 #1 by Wayne Harrison
J.L. Bell at Oz and Ends counted the number of rumors about President G.W. Bush and President Obama that were identified and determined by rumor-validation site, snopes.com, to be true, false, a mixture of true and false, or uncertain. It turns out, there are a lot more rumors and a lot more false rumors about Obama than there were about Bush:

In less than two years, Obama rumor-mongers have had nearly twice the output that their Bush counterparts managed in eight years – 87 to 47. And while the Bush rumors split almost evenly true-false, false Obama rumors dwarfed the true ones. The false rumors about Obama outnumbered the total number of rumors about Bush. And while the lies about Obama are almost all negative, some of the false rumors about Bush are quite flattering, along the lines of the George Washington cheery tree rumor – like the rumor that had Bush paying for the funeral of a boy who had drowned near the Crawford ranch.

http://contexts.org/socimages/2010/05/1 ... -politics/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jun 2010 10:47 #2 by PrintSmith
And we all know that Snopes is above partisanship, right Wayne?

16 Jun 2010 13:56 #3 by Wayne Harrison
What does Snopes have to do with it? And yes, even right-wing rumors about Snopes have proven to be false. The guy's wife is Canadian and he has never supported a political candidate.

Have you found something that Snopes reported that wasn't correct?

16 Jun 2010 14:10 #4 by FredHayek
Snopes tends to be slightly slanted.

But it just makes sense that Obama would inspire more rumours than Bush.
1) We have already met the Bush family, was anyone in the Obama family in the public eye before 2006?
2) Obama is the first mixed race President, who spent part of his youth in foreign countries, his grades are hidden unlike other Presidents, and he has an Islamic middle name.
3) Obama's job record is scant and was little discussed compared to Bush who had at least one term as Governor and was a baseball owner before becoming President.
4) People are more interested in Obama than the typical white guy usually elected President.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Jun 2010 15:20 #5 by PrintSmith
Why yes Wayne, I can. Wasn't it Snopes that changed the hospital at which President Obama was allegedly born in? Seems to me that their site had one location listed and then switched it to another hospital when that hospital posted a letter supposedly from the White House and Barak Obama which said he was born there. A letter, I might add, that the White House won't confirm the authenticity of.

So yes Wayne, I can come up with instances in which Snopes reported incorrect information in regards specifically to our current president.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds