Would a ‘crash tax’ be fair?

21 Jun 2010 09:11 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Would a ‘crash tax’ be fair? was created by CinnamonGirl
http://www.thedenverdailynews.com/article.php?aID=8938

First a tax that locks Coloradoans out of Amazon.com and now this. So much single layer thinking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jun 2010 09:39 #2 by RCCL
Awesome.

I see that the reasoning behind it is simply "It'll help balance the budget", of course, as always.

The more they see income tax decline, the more they'll create stupid fees like this.

For some reason, "spend less" is never the answer, and "screw them harder" is always the answer.

21 Jun 2010 09:47 #3 by Tilt
Spend less? less? that would take common sense, ethics.
We let people into office based on groupie voting, best jelly
hanshake, fake smiles.
No RCCL what you say is to logical, next idea.

21 Jun 2010 10:16 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Would a ‘crash tax’ be fair?
In my view, taxes should not be about one segment of the city or society. Finding a way out of the tax doesn't make sense. And certainly doesn't make sense to make people not want to include Colorado for Amazon.com or make people not want to drive in Denver. Doesn't that defeat your purpose? It is about the way you are organizing the tax hikes.

21 Jun 2010 10:32 #5 by LOL
Its what happens when Dems are running Colorado. First the vehicle reg. tax, then candy and pop. Now fire truck tax.

It sounds like an inefficient way to collect revenues for the amount involved, the admin costs will be high with all these FD needing a collection staff.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

21 Jun 2010 11:19 #6 by BearMtnHIB
I would support a state law that bans these local governments from new taxes like the "crash tax". The tax in the Foothills fire district needs to be recended, or a state law that bans these kinds of taxes and fees will find support from people like me.

Creative revenue statutes like the one proposed in Denver are the main reason why I avoid finding myself within the City limits of places like Denver and Boulder. I avoid these places when I can, and I don't do any business there unless it is un-avoidable. I have worked in the City of denver and had my paycheck hijacked every month for the privelege of working there.

But we miss the main point here when we get caught up in the discussion of weather or not Denver should charge this tax. If I were a Denver resident paying taxes to the fire department - my taxes should already be paying for the costs to respond to accidents. Same goes for foothills fire.

Local governments are slithering around the fact that these services are the primary reason why they exist in the first place. More and more - they try to snake out of doing what they are collecting our money to do in the first place. It's akin to promising a product or service - and then backing out of the deal unless we pay them more money.

I see example after example of this happening over and over again. When I was in High school - the school's property taxes used to pay for classroom books - now it's extra. Parents now have to shell out money for each book.

Douglas county schools now want to charge extra for students who ride a school bus, a service that was supposed to be paid for with tax money.

The proper and correct response to these governments who can not deliver these services that the taxpayers have paid for - would be to vote to remove all funding from them, because they have failed in their mission completely.

Lets just go to a privately funded fire department - one that charges for each accident seperately. Why burden every taxpayer for money when they can't even deliver the basic service they promised.

Lets go to private school bus systems, and to private schools themselves.

In affect - we have allowed these government districts to collect our money in order to provide a service - essentially - they have broken their contract with us. Now they are saying that they want extra - or they won't be able to deliver what they promised.

Why do we allow this to happen - we should be outraged!!

In the business world we call it fraud - or breech of contract - or at the very least - a "change of scope". It is fair and reasonable for the cheated party to go to court and seek damages, or have the contract declared "null and void".

When I encounter a cheater like this - who promises one thing and tries to deliver another - I usually say....

Forget it!! The deals off.... give me my money back - I'll go somewhere else for this service.

21 Jun 2010 12:30 #7 by The Viking
I wonder how much more business this will drive away? And what about the out of state truckers that have to drive through here to get from the east to the west? Will they be taxed as well if they have an accident on ice? Our Colorado government is so clueless!

21 Jun 2010 12:37 #8 by Local_Historian
I've wanted ot know if they're applying this to out of staters or out of towners - cause technically, we're all out of towners.

21 Jun 2010 12:40 #9 by RivendaleFarms

CinnamonGirl wrote: www.thedenverdailynews.com/article.php?aID=8938

First a tax that locks Coloradoans out of Amazon.com and now this. So much single layer thinking.

Is there a thread on the Amazon.com reference? I haven't heard about this (and am on Amazon a lot), what's the scoop?

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

21 Jun 2010 12:46 #10 by LOL

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds