Death Penalty Suggestion

21 May 2010 09:37 #1 by TPP
Death Penalty Suggestion was created by TPP
Not sure if this should be here or in the Ring, could end up there anyway...

I believe that, with all the advances in science (DNA) that we should no longer allow unlimited appeals, on DEATH Penalty cases.
IMHO, we should ONLY allow 3 appeals, per CONVICTED criminal, after that he/she reads the IV train, or whatever…
NO MORE allowing these slime to live on our tax funds, yes gang 30-40K a year just for these waste of air.
Imagine that if we didn’t have to pay (as of 2008, & I realize that not all would go at once) 3,207 X 30K-40K = 9,621,000 – 128,280,000 a year.
We could refurbish so many panic tables….

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 May 2010 09:41 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Death Penalty Suggestion
Sure. Makes sense to me. There will still be mistakes, but DNA should make those less likely. And from what I have seen most of the guys executed by mistake weren't angels and would likely be in jail for other offences even if they didn't commit this crime.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 May 2010 11:33 #3 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Death Penalty Suggestion
I would really like to hear from the ones that disagree, if ya'all don't mind....

21 May 2010 12:12 #4 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Death Penalty Suggestion

SS109 wrote: Sure. Makes sense to me. There will still be mistakes, but DNA should make those less likely. And from what I have seen most of the guys executed by mistake weren't angels and would likely be in jail for other offences even if they didn't commit this crime.

Just because you are not an angel does not validate mistaken execution. You're making gross assumptions, a process that makes an ass-u+me.

Do I condone endless appeals? No. Agreed with them being a waste of valuable resources. But how do you determine what the right number of appeals? It could be one is too many if the person is truly guilty. Ten may not be enough if innocent. Clearly this is a controversial topic whose resolution can only be laid to rest once we have a indisputable means of determining guilt, buy mining the subjects memories. DNA is not always conclusive plus it currently takes a years to bring the evidence to bear.

21 May 2010 13:06 #5 by TPP
Yes, and most all believe that putting 1 innocent man/women to death, is worse than letting 100 get away with murder.
I don't agree with this, Of course if none of us has been put in the middle of this, we can't see clearly. If my son was convicted of murder then I'm NOT sure my opinion would be the same. So, maybe we should leave it up to the victims of the crime. After all Calif. is bankrupt and still support Charlie and his crew, well some of his crew. WHY are they still taking up air & money? The appeals are done with and they are sentenced to life in prison. Now, Some would say that life in prison is a living hell, and the loved ones of the victims, will always suffer from these heartless/soulless crimes.
Do they have to be reminded of it and go through the pain all over again every time these things come up for parole? I say “NO”, we shouldn’t.
But I also think they should hang some of them in PRIME time, in order to make some of these thugs think twice before killing.
OK SORRY, starting to ramble, but I think ya get my point.

21 May 2010 13:37 #6 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Death Penalty Suggestion
My issue is that as much as I think some criminals would benefit society if they were dead, I don't think we( as a society or government) are smart enough to do it correctly. Would you want to be tried using 1890's knowledge? I think when technology and science look back 100 years from now we will appear as primitive as turn of the century justice seems to us. A small price to pay , lock them up for life w/o parole.
In perspective we spent 1 trillion $ on the absurd "war on drugs" Lets fix that first. Priorities matter

21 May 2010 13:58 #7 by TPP

JMC wrote: In perspective we spent 1 trillion $ on the absurd "war on drugs" Lets fix that first. Priorities matter

:thumbsup: I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS! And tax the hell out of it, like smokes & booze.
But we MUST decide where the line will be drawn, Grass cool, Mushrooms cool, licking a frog????, herion????, speed??? METH.??? Crack???? Coke???

But this is about CONVITED killers, and IMHO wouldn't mind putting child molesters in that group too.

21 May 2010 15:18 #8 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Death Penalty Suggestion

TPP wrote:

JMC wrote: In perspective we spent 1 trillion $ on the absurd "war on drugs" Lets fix that first. Priorities matter

:thumbsup: I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS! And tax the hell out of it, like smokes & booze.
But we MUST decide where the line will be drawn, Grass cool, Mushrooms cool, licking a frog????, herion????, speed??? METH.??? Crack???? Coke???

But this is about CONVITED killers, and IMHO wouldn't mind putting child molesters in that group too.

Free market , the drug and liqueur companies have been subsidized to the of a tril. As some musician said "we need a new drug' legal and safe . Then who would do meth or lick a frog? Let Tobacco, alcohol and big pharma compete.

21 May 2010 18:29 #9 by LopingAlong
For me, it comes down to the death penalty itself, not the appeals process per se.

when I was young, it was so easy to take a stance on the death penalty. I was 100% for it. NO thought needed. But as I got older, I realized that was hypocritical of me, no matter what my church (I went to one at the time) believed and preached. I needed to come to grips with killing in general, whether it is done by a criminal to a victim on the street or by the state to a convicted person on Death Row.

I don't know that the appeals process is bad. Many mistakes are made and that is one mistake you can't take back.

For me, it comes down to killing, like I said. Either you can and do or you won't and don't.

(For the record, if it's self defense, I have zero problem with blowing away any SOB that threatens me or my family and I consider this completely different than the subject of the death penalty or killing in general. And yes, I do own a firearm.)

22 May 2010 07:36 #10 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Death Penalty Suggestion
I don't believe in the death penalty. I do not think our justice system is good enough to know for sure that the person we are executing really did that crime and I don't think that just because someone committed murder that is a reason to hate them. DNA is a better tool but the human element is still there. And you I don't think the money they are costing the government is a good excuse. By far Texas has the most I was surprised to see Virgina 2nd. http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/dpusa.htm

I personally feel-If you believe in the death penalty you need to imagine yourself being the one to flip the switch. I could not do that. And until I know that I could be there and be involved in it and look that person and their family in the eye. This is about more than just that person. Think about the mother and father. I don't think we have enough Knowledge as humans to know we got the right person and I just can't live with that. To me it is just as bad as the original murder. And it doesn't bring back the love one and I doubt the love ones feel that much better either. Really revenge does not feel as good as you think. Ask a family member. Usually you hear them say. "I am just glad they can't do this to anyone else" Well, if they were in jail, they would not be able to.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds