Study: U.S. Flag 'Primes' Voters Toward Republican Viewpoint

20 Jul 2011 23:30 #1 by The Viking
Study: U.S. Flag 'Primes' Voters Toward Republican Viewpoints

I guess this goes to show that Patriotism is an inherent Republican trait! But most of us already knew that!

That study's findings argued that attending July 4 parades are more beneficial to the Republican Party -- they boost turnout of GOP voters, increase Republican patriotism and turn kids into Republicans.

Well now you know the Dems are going to be fighting even harder to take down American Flags and stopping the 4th of July Parades as it makes people feel more patriotic and Republican!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07 ... latestnews

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jul 2011 06:15 #2 by FredHayek
Dupe!

Ironic when you consider how right wing people are more likely to want to secede and trust their state over the Feds.

The Left constantly complains about how many mistakes the US had made in the past but they want to expand its functions and give it more money. Like the Feds will get it right this time, eh?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Jul 2011 06:50 #3 by TPP
SS109, I trust neither.
I trust my family, friends (most), & neighbors, (most). I don't EXCEPT anything from the Feds, (and if you do you my friend are the dupe!), but to defend my country, States well... not so sure... but they are closer.

21 Jul 2011 13:59 #4 by The Boss
Both parties are full of thoughtless nuts.

I will say that people who have less to hold on to, will look towards icons to represent patriotism without substance.

We must remember though, that after 9-11, when we all felt bad. There was a big group of idiots out there that made it out like if you don't have a flag in your car window that you were not patriotic. My mother was even pulled over and asked why she did not have a flag in her car window in New Jersey (full of lefties by the way). This group of idiots that did not understand that we were all hurt, but this action did make some D's that knew that there was way more to the Middle East than flag waving and shooting feet like the R's cooped the flag and gave it new, meaning, and not a good one. So this turned D's off to the flag, even if they might believe in American Ideals more (or might not). To some D's the flag waved by citizens, like flexing a muscle in stead of actually doing work, showed as a negative sign of the concept of violating a country's sovereignty and was just war mongering. Get it?

This study does not mean that republicans are more patriotic, it is a result of subtleties of recent history, essentially Republicans trying to use the flag to represent them vs. America. What this study says is bad for all the flag represents (or used to).

If you have nothing to prove, you don't need to wave the flag with force, it will carry it's great meaning by itself. If you feel you have something to prove and waving the flag more and more will prove that point, perhaps you really are waving it so much because you have nothing of meaning to say?

I personally feel it is pretty unpatriotic to join a party. I also realize that many thoughtless D's pushed for these wars and that the current big D and little Ds/Rs have kept them going by choice, every day.

21 Jul 2011 14:07 #5 by AspenValley
This study doesn't mean Republicans are more patriotic, it just means it is easier to manipulate them with patriotic symbols.

21 Jul 2011 14:31 #6 by Rick

AspenValley wrote: This study doesn't mean Republicans are more patriotic, it just means it is easier to manipulate them with patriotic symbols.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSx2z7gGRJNjofNKhqyGQ6ZZLigkkNaIuCJpgYNrEBbRJHQoXjye1ViZ2jp

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

21 Jul 2011 14:36 #7 by LadyJazzer
Like "Mission Accomplished" signs?

Yep, Republicans aren't more patriotic--it's just easier to manipulate them with patriotic symbols.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." -- Sinclair Lewis
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" -- Samuel Johnson (1775)

21 Jul 2011 15:05 #8 by OmniScience

CriticalBill wrote:

AspenValley wrote: This study doesn't mean Republicans are more patriotic, it just means it is easier to manipulate them with patriotic symbols.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSx2z7gGRJNjofNKhqyGQ6ZZLigkkNaIuCJpgYNrEBbRJHQoXjye1ViZ2jp

Outstanding, Bill !

21 Jul 2011 15:18 #9 by FredHayek

posteryoyo wrote: Both parties are full of thoughtless nuts.

I will say that people who have less to hold on to, will look towards icons to represent patriotism without substance.

We must remember though, that after 9-11, when we all felt bad. There was a big group of idiots out there that made it out like if you don't have a flag in your car window that you were not patriotic. My mother was even pulled over and asked why she did not have a flag in her car window in New Jersey (full of lefties by the way). This group of idiots that did not understand that we were all hurt, but this action did make some D's that knew that there was way more to the Middle East than flag waving and shooting feet like the R's cooped the flag and gave it new, meaning, and not a good one. So this turned D's off to the flag, even if they might believe in American Ideals more (or might not). To some D's the flag waved by citizens, like flexing a muscle in stead of actually doing work, showed as a negative sign of the concept of violating a country's sovereignty and was just war mongering. Get it?

This study does not mean that republicans are more patriotic, it is a result of subtleties of recent history, essentially Republicans trying to use the flag to represent them vs. America. What this study says is bad for all the flag represents (or used to).

If you have nothing to prove, you don't need to wave the flag with force, it will carry it's great meaning by itself. If you feel you have something to prove and waving the flag more and more will prove that point, perhaps you really are waving it so much because you have nothing of meaning to say?

I personally feel it is pretty unpatriotic to join a party. I also realize that many thoughtless D's pushed for these wars and that the current big D and little Ds/Rs have kept them going by choice, every day.

9/11 "converted" more than a few Democrats into Republicans. They got "religion" right? Or no athiests in foxholes?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Jul 2011 15:23 #10 by Rick

LadyJazzer wrote: Like "Mission Accomplished" signs?

Yep, Republicans aren't more patriotic--it's just easier to manipulate them with patriotic symbols.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." -- Sinclair Lewis
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" -- Samuel Johnson (1775)

Yes LJ, we already know your feelings about the American flag and Christianity...not neccesary to remind us.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds