THE HELP ---- guess who funded it?

14 Aug 2011 23:00 #1 by bailey bud
I just got back from watching THE HELP ---- a world-class movie.

Watching the credits - I saw a familiar name under executive producer:
Mohamed Mubarak Al Mazrouei -- a cousin of my old boss.

On closer examination - the film is produced by IMAGENATION --- a wholly owned subsidiary of ----
you guessed it ---- the United Arab Emirates.

Imagenation's portfolio includes: National Geographic (they're contracted for a full series), a documentary on Deepwater Horizon, the touching movie, My Name is Khan , and now The Help .

From what I've seen - the company is Academy material.

What's my point --- the UAE is a shrewd, progressive, investor. They understand quality, invest in it, and reap the benefits of it. They are an example that ought to be noticed and mimicked.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Aug 2011 23:09 #2 by Achmed
We were not born yesterday, you know.

14 Aug 2011 23:34 #3 by bailey bud
What do you mean, "we???"

Judging from the prayer mark on your forehead - I'd guess you're from central Egypt.

You sure as heck do not look like an Emirati.

14 Aug 2011 23:35 #4 by Rockdoc
Smart people do exactly that. They borrow from the best. That was my point on the right to earn a living thread regarding legislation requiring licensing. Germany has a great working model that fosters quality workmanship, something we could mimic here too, not for select individuals , but all across the board within a particular profession.

15 Aug 2011 07:49 #5 by FredHayek
Most reviews seem to like it, but Westword IIRC said it had a little too much "Magic Negro" in it. That blacks have to show whitey how to live right. Like Bagger Vance, etc.

But interesting to see who financed the film, I wonder if this would play back home, only sub'ing Phillipino housekeepers/nannys for the African-American women.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

15 Aug 2011 11:54 #6 by 2wlady
I read the book and plan to see the movie. I lived in the "south" during that period, but we didn't have a maid and, being a military family, we lived in integrated quarters.

15 Aug 2011 11:59 #7 by Martin Ent Inc
We had a maid (Black Mammy) and my grandma had black cooks at here resturant and truck stop.

We didn't hink anything about it and they were part of our family.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds