America's favorite birth control method turns 50

12 May 2010 13:09 #11 by The Viking

285 Bound wrote: Too big.

I thought so but they are so funny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 May 2010 08:30 #12 by FredHayek
Great question: Was the Pill a good thing or a bad thing? Some believe it broke down social morality. I don't want to lay all that at its feet.
Overall I think it was a good thing, it helped women schedule/control when they had kids, allowing more to get education and better jobs. And by preventing unwanted pregnancies, it might be part of the reason crime continues to drop.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 May 2010 08:47 #13 by LopingAlong
Only good, in my opinion. To be able to have even a semblence of control over unwanted pregnancies is huge. Imagine if 3rd world countries were able to curb their population explosions and instead of spending time, money and energy on mopping up, the indiginent peoples could focus on bettering their lives. With a little more 'wealth' gained by less need to feed and clothe unwatned children, they could educate themselves and contribute more than just more babies that ultimately could starve to death.

24 May 2010 09:55 #14 by ScienceChic

The Viking wrote:

LopingAlong wrote: I can't imagine anyone choosing abortion as a form of birth control. I suppose it could happen, but so much easier to prevent pregnancy in the first place.

I agree. I am not saying they plan for it to be their form of birth control. Just that most people who have them now a days just do it as an afterthought form of birth control. I would love to see a statistic, but I would venture to guess that over 95% of all abortions are not done for health reasons. They are done for no other reason than because it was an ooops or they changed their mind and so they use the abortion as a form of birth control after the fact.

Viking - here's some info for ya:
Facts on Induced Abortions http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use.[8]

Forty-six percent of women who have abortions had not used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. Of these women, 33% had perceived themselves to be at low risk for pregnancy, 32% had had concerns about contraceptive methods, 26% had had unexpected sex and 1% had been forced to have sex.[8]

There's a lot more interesting info in the link.

Facts on Contraceptive Use http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_contr_use.html
Facts on Publicly Funded Contraceptive Services in the U.S. http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_contr ... _serv.html

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 May 2010 10:13 #15 by The Viking

Science Chic wrote:

The Viking wrote:

LopingAlong wrote: I can't imagine anyone choosing abortion as a form of birth control. I suppose it could happen, but so much easier to prevent pregnancy in the first place.

I agree. I am not saying they plan for it to be their form of birth control. Just that most people who have them now a days just do it as an afterthought form of birth control. I would love to see a statistic, but I would venture to guess that over 95% of all abortions are not done for health reasons. They are done for no other reason than because it was an ooops or they changed their mind and so they use the abortion as a form of birth control after the fact.

Viking - here's some info for ya:
Facts on Induced Abortions http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use.[8]

Forty-six percent of women who have abortions had not used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. Of these women, 33% had perceived themselves to be at low risk for pregnancy, 32% had had concerns about contraceptive methods, 26% had had unexpected sex and 1% had been forced to have sex.[8]

There's a lot more interesting info in the link.

Facts on Contraceptive Use http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_contr_use.html
Facts on Publicly Funded Contraceptive Services in the U.S. http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_contr ... _serv.html

Thanks for the info, I will have to read it over. I would like to know how many were not married having sex and that is why they weren't wanting a child and had an abortion. I am no saint but if you don't want the responsibility of a child because you are not married, there is one way to be sure. Don't have sex. If you do even on some sort of birth control, you have to accept the responsibility that you have a chance of getting pregnant. That was your 'Choice'. You want choice? There it is! You have all the choice you want whether to have sex or not.

And I am sorry, but I am laughing my arse off at this stat. "26% had had unexpected sex". What happened, they tripped and fell on a p*nis? :Loco: Nothing is unexpected. We all have free will. If you are in a situation and it is about to happen, then you can say no. If you don't, then you are expecting what is about to happen will happen. Again, those 26% have a 'Choice' which is what every one keeps claiming they want. Well everyone ha a 'Choice'. So if we use the stats. Out of 40 million abortions who never got a 'Choice' to live or die, over 10 million lives were ended by people who weren't expecting to have sex? Is that really an excuse for an abortion? Everyone can use that excuse for everything. I wasn't expecting to hit that car just because I was drunk. I wasn't expecting to burn down hundreds of thousands of acres by just lighting a fire in a dry wilderness. I guess Clinton wasn't expecting to drop his cigar where he did?

Sorry, but to me those people should not just be able to choose to end a life as a form of birth control just because they weren't expecting to have sex and they decided they didn't want to say no and figured they would just clean up the mess later.

But I do thank you for the info. I will look it over.

24 May 2010 10:31 #16 by ScienceChic

The Viking wrote: Thanks for the info, I will have to read it over. I would like to know how many were not married having sex and that is why they weren't wanting a child and had an abortion. I am no saint but if you don't want the responsibility of a child because you are not married, there is one way to be sure. Don't have sex. If you do even on some sort of birth control, you have to accept the responsibility that you have a chance of getting pregnant. That was your 'Choice'. You want choice? There it is! You have all the choice you want whether to have sex or not.

And I am sorry, but I am laughing my arse off at this stat. "26% had had unexpected sex". What happened, they tripped and fell on a p*nis? :Loco: Nothing is unexpected. We all have free will. If you are in a situation and it is about to happen, then you can say no. If you don't, then you are expecting what is about to happen will happen. Again, those 26% have a 'Choice' which is what every one keeps claiming they want. Well everyone ha a 'Choice'. So if we use the stats. Out of 40 million abortions who never got a 'Choice' to live or die, over 10 million lives were ended by people who weren't expecting to have sex? Is that really an excuse for an abortion? Everyone can use that excuse for everything. I wasn't expecting to hit that car just because I was drunk. I wasn't expecting to burn down hundreds of thousands of acres by just lighting a fire in a dry wilderness. I guess Clinton wasn't expecting to drop his cigar where he did?

Sorry, but to me those people should not just be able to choose to end a life as a form of birth control just because they weren't expecting to have sex and they decided they didn't want to say no and figured they would just clean up the mess later.

But I do thank you for the info. I will look it over.

rofllol I had an ex-boyfriend who used to say something to the same effect: "Tripped and fell into p%^*y! I don't remember where I saw it, and have to run so I can't look it up, that the number of abortions for married couples who already have children is on the rise - they decide they don't want anymore, but don't get sterilized and have an oops. I absolutely agree that people need to take more responsibility - if they decide to have sex, they must deal with the consequences, unintended or not - give the baby up for adoption or raise it. I am a big proponent of more education and more effective birth control becoming more widely available in order to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies so the number of abortions reduces. Get the male birth control shot out and encourage its use in teenagers and 20-somethings if they're going to be active (although that won't protect from STDs - still need that condom). Restricting abortion is reaction, not pro-action, and won't solve the problem, but abortions as birth control is not right and can be easily remedied with some sensible effort.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 May 2010 10:36 #17 by The Viking
:agree: You and I agree on something!!! I knew this day would come!!! :woo hoo: :grouphug: :party :love: :swinging: :banana: :cool0012: :balloons: :Cheer: :sissies :Thank you :singing rain:

24 May 2010 10:43 #18 by ScienceChic
Just wait until I change your mind to agree with me on something! :biggrin: That'll be the day for celebrating!! :cool0012:

24 May 2010 10:47 #19 by The Viking

Science Chic wrote: Just wait until I change your mind to agree with me on something! :biggrin: That'll be the day for celebrating!! :cool0012:

You will have to catch me with a lot of Scotch in me! Then I can claim it was an 'unexpected agreement' and temporary lapse of critical thinking and good judgement and I want to take it back! :biggrin:

24 May 2010 14:17 #20 by ScienceChic

The Viking wrote:

Science Chic wrote: Just wait until I change your mind to agree with me on something! :biggrin: That'll be the day for celebrating!! :cool0012:

You will have to catch me with a lot of Scotch in me! Then I can claim it was an 'unexpected agreement' and temporary lapse of critical thinking and good judgement and I want to take it back! :biggrin:

lol You're on! Would that qualify as a Coyote Ugly moment?

Actually, I just remembered there was one other time we agreed - on the Cash for Clunkers being a huge waste. We're on a roll now!

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds