America's favorite birth control method turns 50

24 May 2010 14:22 #21 by The Viking

Science Chic wrote:

The Viking wrote:

Science Chic wrote: Just wait until I change your mind to agree with me on something! :biggrin: That'll be the day for celebrating!! :cool0012:

You will have to catch me with a lot of Scotch in me! Then I can claim it was an 'unexpected agreement' and temporary lapse of critical thinking and good judgement and I want to take it back! :biggrin:

lol You're on! Would that qualify as a Coyote Ugly moment?

Actually, I just remembered there was one other time we agreed - on the Cash for Clunkers being a huge waste. We're on a roll now!

OK now you are scaring me! :VeryScared: Which one of us is coming over to the dark side?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 May 2010 18:17 #22 by ScienceChic
http://www.theonion.com/articles/osama- ... f-us,1131/
February 18, 2004

WASHINGTON, DC—Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld announced Tuesday that Osama bin Laden, prime suspect in the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, has "at long last been found."
You can imagine our surprise when we finally found him hiding deep inside the darkest recesses of each and every one of our souls."
He was lurking in the blackness within us all, right there with the laziness and the jealousy."
"Only someone as evil as bin Laden would think to crawl down into that hole inside every one of us, the one that makes us hate instead of love, forget birthdays, and ignore alternate-side parking rules."

I'm at my limit and can't quote the last line - check it out! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

25 May 2010 16:15 #23 by PrintSmith

LopingAlong wrote: Only good, in my opinion. To be able to have even a semblence of control over unwanted pregnancies is huge. Imagine if 3rd world countries were able to curb their population explosions and instead of spending time, money and energy on mopping up, the indiginent peoples could focus on bettering their lives. With a little more 'wealth' gained by less need to feed and clothe unwatned children, they could educate themselves and contribute more than just more babies that ultimately could starve to death.

It is a vicious cycle; ignorance breeds poverty and poverty breeds ignorance. There is only one cure for both, and that is to stop breeding these things. Stop bringing to birth children whose inheritance cannot be one of health or intelligence. Stop bringing into the world children whose parents cannot provide for them. Herein lies the key of civilization. For upon the foundation of an enlightened and voluntary motherhood shall a future civilization emerge. - M. Sanger

Ahhhhh, eugenics, what could be better than to stop the breeding of the undesirables. Please Loping, only "civilized" societies ponder whether the blessings of a child are "wanted" intrusions into their lives........

26 May 2010 07:12 #24 by LopingAlong

PrintSmith wrote:

LopingAlong wrote: Only good, in my opinion. To be able to have even a semblence of control over unwanted pregnancies is huge. Imagine if 3rd world countries were able to curb their population explosions and instead of spending time, money and energy on mopping up, the indiginent peoples could focus on bettering their lives. With a little more 'wealth' gained by less need to feed and clothe unwatned children, they could educate themselves and contribute more than just more babies that ultimately could starve to death.

It is a vicious cycle; ignorance breeds poverty and poverty breeds ignorance. There is only one cure for both, and that is to stop breeding these things. Stop bringing to birth children whose inheritance cannot be one of health or intelligence. Stop bringing into the world children whose parents cannot provide for them. Herein lies the key of civilization. For upon the foundation of an enlightened and voluntary motherhood shall a future civilization emerge. - M. Sanger

Ahhhhh, eugenics, what could be better than to stop the breeding of the undesirables. Please Loping, only "civilized" societies ponder whether the blessings of a child are "wanted" intrusions into their lives........

Not sure what you mean by this(?) but I think that's what I'm saying--that if, instead of popping out babies and wondering how to care for them, education and birth control might make life better overall.

26 May 2010 17:34 #25 by PrintSmith
Any idea what the dropout rate is in this nation from public institutions that provide an essentially free education? How much of an effect has the mandatory sex education classes instituted since the Roe decision at the elementary, middle and high school levels decreased the number of annual abortions in this nation despite a lower number of children in attendance at those schools? A high school student who has to have her parents bring Tylenol to school for her, can get "the pill" without her parents' knowledge, despite the fact that long term use of "the pill" has been linked to higher instances of breast and other cancers in women along with other health problems directly attributable to artificially controlling the hormone levels of women to make them infertile.

Margaret Sanger was a racist and a proponent of eugenics in addition to being one of the founders of Planned Parenthood - something else the rewriting of history seems to have successfully failed to educate most of the current generations about. I'll give her props for failing to embrace euthanasia of those she classified as undesirable that should be prohibited from reproducing, but most of the rest of her beliefs and ideas really leave much to be desired.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds