How many votes will Kagan recieve? Poll

28 Jun 2010 06:12 #1 by JMC
Will the Republicans try and filibuster?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jun 2010 07:27 #2 by FredHayek
I think some Republicans will launch some impressive attacks against her record, but choose to nominate her. She actually sounds more moderate and willing to trade one judgement for another than the justice she is replacing. She chose politically expedient solutions working for Bill Clinton.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

28 Jun 2010 13:01 #3 by JMC
Looks like she will skate through this without a serious problem

28 Jun 2010 13:38 #4 by FredHayek
70-80 Senators voting for Kagan? I wouldn't go for that. I even heard some Dems Senators in testimony today saying that Elena is one of the most unknown nominees ever.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

28 Jun 2010 13:57 #5 by JMC
I would guess she will get about 68 or so, but the questions haven't really started yet.

28 Jun 2010 14:55 #6 by PrintSmith
I expect she will receive between 50 and 60 votes - all from Democrats. I would be surprised, pleasantly so I might add, if the Republicans attempted a filibuster after all the negative publicity that the Democrat's ill advised filibuster of President Bush's Supreme Court nominations.

Besides, if the Republicans did filibuster, Obama would simply wait until Congress adjourned and then make her a recess appointee and have her sit in until the next Congress convened in January of 2011.

28 Jun 2010 14:58 #7 by JMC

PrintSmith wrote: I expect she will receive between 50 and 60 votes - all from Democrats. I would be surprised, pleasantly so I might add, if the Republicans attempted a filibuster after all the negative publicity that the Democrat's ill advised filibuster of President Bush's Supreme Court nominations.

Besides, if the Republicans did filibuster, Obama would simply wait until Congress adjourned and then make her a recess appointee and have her sit in until the next Congress convened in January of 2011.

PS , you don't think she will get any votes from the Republicans?

28 Jun 2010 15:14 #8 by PrintSmith
I would be surprised if anyone on the Republican side of the aisle voted for her. I don't think they will filibuster her nomination, but neither do I expect anyone to break ranks and vote to confirm her prior to this fall's midterm elections. A vote to confirm might be a poison that affects the next election cycle for those incumbents who are not up for reelection this time around.

28 Jun 2010 16:47 #9 by The Viking
Where is the choice. 'Too many'?

28 Jun 2010 16:48 #10 by The Viking

JMC wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: I expect she will receive between 50 and 60 votes - all from Democrats. I would be surprised, pleasantly so I might add, if the Republicans attempted a filibuster after all the negative publicity that the Democrat's ill advised filibuster of President Bush's Supreme Court nominations.

PS , you don't think she will get any votes from the Republicans?

I expect she will get a couple R's voting for her. But in my opinion, anyone who is anti gun and pretty much anti military does not need to be on our Supreme Court. But I wouldn't have expected anything more from Obama.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds