21 killed in Mexican gang shootout near US border

03 Jul 2010 08:20 #11 by Gringa
Exactly, TM.

And AGAIN, the violence is because Mexico is finally taking action against the Cartel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jul 2010 10:36 #12 by ufda king
There is plenty of drug violence in Denver and it's getting worse!

05 Jul 2010 09:46 #13 by Wayne Harrison
Mexico's drug war heats up near Arizona border

ALTAR, Mexico – Very few residents dare to drive on one of the roads out of this watering-hole for migrants, fearing they will be stopped at gunpoint. They worry they will be told to turn around after their gas tanks are drained or, worse, be kidnapped or killed.

A shootout that left 21 people dead and six wounded on the road last week is the most gruesome sign that a relatively tranquil pocket of northern Mexico is quickly turning into a hotbed of drug-fueled violence on Arizona's doorstep. The violence in recent months is grist for supporters of the state's tough new law against illegal immigration, who are eager to portray the border as a lawless battlefield of smugglers both of drugs and humans.

Nogales, the main city in the region, which shares a border with the Arizona city of the same name, has had 131 murders so far this year, nearly surpassing 135 for all of 2009, according to a tally by the newspaper Diario de Sonora. That includes two heads found Thursday stuffed side by side between the bars of a cemetery fence.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100705/ap_ ... EniApzfNdF

05 Jul 2010 10:51 #14 by 2wlady
I'm thinking we need to ramp up our education strategies and deployment. Take the kids into the drug pits. Drive by the streets lined with prostitutes. Take them to police stations and have them see addicts and prostitutes and pimps (however rare) getting booked. Show them the puke rooms.

Then let the kids see what happens to bodies. If you've ever opened a cadaver that had been a smoker, you'll think more than twice about picking up a cigarette for the first time (that's the only experience I have with a cadaver). Let the kids see hearts, brains, etc. that have been affected by drugs.

The egg frying commercial just doesn't have the power of the real thing.

IMO, we have to stop the use of drugs. Uh oh, here it comes. Make all the drugs legal, then, no problems.

I saw a program either on PBS or History Channel that maintained that around the turn of the century about 25% of Americans were addicted to codeine, heroin, alcohol and other drugs, before the Feds started tightening drug laws. Do we want that again?

05 Jul 2010 12:21 #15 by Pony Soldier
I wonder what the percentage is now.

05 Jul 2010 12:49 #16 by 2wlady
And demographics.

07 Jul 2010 06:13 #17 by JMC
Liqueur and pharmaceutical companies keep the drugs illegal. Legalize most drugs and get rid of the insane "war on drugs" that cost a trillion $ over the last 25 years and most of this problem would go away. All you anti gov/tax people seem to support this colossal waste of money and lives. Do you want the gov. to tell you what you can put in your body? You seem to even hate food labels. Just don't get it

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds