Denver's New Accident Tax?

03 Jul 2010 07:12 #1 by FredHayek
Support it?
Should be of concern to the 285 corridor, since our emergency services seem to mainly be used by tourists. Or would a local accident tax discourage tourism?

Personally I disagree with an Accident Tax. And would be less likely to visit Denver if they pass the Accident Tax. I figure if I am paying their sales tax, their seat tax, (for sporting events.) I should be covered in case I am in an accident.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jul 2010 07:58 #2 by Hoot Owl
Replied by Hoot Owl on topic Denver's New Accident Tax?
I heard about this when Mike Rosen (KOA) had Mayor Hickenlooper on his program. Correct me if I have the details incorrect. If you (a none Denver resident) are at fault in an accident on a State highway within the city limits of Denver, you will be fined $200-300. Some of the state highways are Hampden, 6th Ave and Colorado Blvd. The fine will be apportioned to support the fire departments. Is that basically what you are talking about?

As the program continued someone called in complaining about potholes, on state highways The mayor replied that they were CDOTs problem not Denvers. That seemed rather ambiguous to me. Get in a wreck within the city limits, you will be fined, however the city will take no responsibility for safety on those roads.

03 Jul 2010 08:16 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Denver's New Accident Tax?
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" www.285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1494&start=0 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1494&start=0<!-- l -->

It discourages tourism and the Colorado tax discouraged business.

Here is a thread on it.

03 Jul 2010 10:00 #4 by major bean
I figure that having the fire department showing up for every fender bender in order to soak up some money from the misfortune of those involved in an accident was surcharge or fine enough! Or maybe its too much? The government, fire departments, etc are sucking too much at every opportunity.

Regards,
Major Bean

03 Jul 2010 15:55 #5 by chocolove
Now wait a minute!!! I already pay $5 a month for the so called pleasure of working in Denver!!! What the heck!! It is going to get more reasonable to work up here if I can find a job at this rate!

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds