Obama Legalizes Horse Slaughter for Human Consumption

30 Nov 2011 15:02 #21 by Photo-fish

TPP wrote: But WHERE PETA??????????

Good Question, if that is actually a question.

Lifting horse slaughter ban: Why PETA says it's a good idea

In an interview with the Christian Science Monitor, PETA founder Ingrid Newkirk said the US should never have banned domestic horse slaughter – a stance that has put the organization at odds with other mainstream animal rights groups, like the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA).

“It's quite an unpopular position we've taken,” Ms. Newkirk says. “There was a rush to pass a bill that said you can't slaughter them anymore in the United States. But the reason we didn't support it, which sets us almost alone, is the amount of suffering that it created exceeded the amount of suffering it was designed to stop.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/1130/Lifting-horse-slaughter-ban-Why-PETA-says-it-s-a-good-idea

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Dec 2011 07:08 #22 by MichiganGal
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=19216

Now that federal lawmakers have declined to defund USDA inspections at plants that process horse meat for human consumption, horse processing in the United States could resume before the end of the year, according to horse processing proponent Wyoming State Rep. Sue Wallis. Wallis sponsored legislation facilitating horse processing plant development in Wyoming and is affiliated with pro-processing groups including United Horsemen and the International Equine Business Association.

Habitat for Horses President Jerry Finch said equine welfare advocates are already gearing up to respond if horse processing plants open anywhere in the United States.

This personally disgusts me!
The USDA doesn't have the money to properly monitor the running of these plants!
There is nothing "humane", about the slaughter process of horses! Or anything else for that matter!
All the label warnings on products used on horses read " Not Approved For Horses Used For Human Consumption"!
Are you for or against this policy?
What is the justification for your stand?

Never Say Never

03 Dec 2011 08:46 #23 by Reverend Revelant

MichiganGal wrote: This personally disgusts me!
The USDA doesn't have the money to properly monitor the running of these plants!
There is nothing "humane", about the slaughter process of horses! Or anything else for that matter!
All the label warnings on products used on horses read " Not Approved For Horses Used For Human Consumption"!
Are you for or against this policy?
What is the justification for your stand?

About time that the United States catches up with the rest of the world. If you keep a horse as a pet/friend... fine... then take care of it that way. If you use a horse mostly as a utility animal, then treat it as you would any piece of machinery, keep it fit, happy and well "oiled." If a horse is raised for food, then just what, it's just that, food. None of these categories makes a horse any different than any other animal... it's all up to a need. There is nothing humane about the slaughter of anything, it has nothing to do with humane, it has to do with food supply. Eating another human is non-humane. Your comment "Or anything else for that matter!" pegs you right away, no amount of conversation or reality check is going to change your mind on this subject.

Considering the point you made (without any data to back up your statement) that "USDA doesn't have the money to properly monitor the running of these plants!" then if I were you, I wouldn't purchase a SINGLE item from a commercial source, since the USDA (and the FDA) is responsible for monitoring the quality and safety of our food supply.

Justification? That's rather simple. That's the natural order of things. Call it gods plan (if you believe in a creator, I'm an atheist) or call it evolution, but what ever you call it, it's evident that the consumption of meat and vegetable products is natural and breaks no moral or physical laws. Any other problem you have with the consumption of horses as a meat product (or the consumption of any acceptable food product) is simply bases on your feelings, not science or fact. But that's fine... you eat what you want to, and don't eat what you feels violates some personal code. But to assume that the rest of the world is wrong, or that your meat chomping neighbors are "defective" in some way.

It's a personal decision, nothing more.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

03 Dec 2011 09:04 #24 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Obama Legalizes Horse Slaughter for Human Consumption

The Viking wrote: Any thoughts on this? Obama signed this less than two weeks ago and I never saw anything about it on the news.

http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article ... for-human/

SOLENT GREEN IS HORSES!!

[youtube:2nvpag01]
[/youtube:2nvpag01]

Horses, cows, Pigs, Chickens...Whats the difference?

03 Dec 2011 09:11 #25 by MountainRoadCrew
Two identical topics were merged into this one thread.

03 Dec 2011 11:01 #26 by Arlen
Horse meat is good. Obama has done something right.

03 Dec 2011 11:06 #27 by LadyJazzer
I guess if you're bothered by the concept so much, you shouldn't eat horsemeat. yawn.. Outrage-of-the-day... Zzzzzzzz

03 Dec 2011 12:41 #28 by Reverend Revelant

LadyJazzer wrote: I guess if you're bothered by the concept so much, you shouldn't eat horsemeat. yawn.. Outrage-of-the-day... Zzzzzzzz

Crap... we agree on something. Who stole Lady Jazzer?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

03 Dec 2011 12:56 #29 by Martin Ent Inc
And FoodNetwork is working on a new tv show with nothing but equine recipes.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds