Bennet introduces Visa reform bill for undocumented students

14 Dec 2011 10:20 #21 by LadyJazzer

OmniScience wrote: So, what is preventing these individuals from making the effort to become legal citizens?

So, tell us, how many of them are not? How many of them are, and are still waiting for a response? Since you seem to have the inside scoop on it....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Dec 2011 13:56 #22 by OmniScience

LadyJazzer wrote:

OmniScience wrote: So, what is preventing these individuals from making the effort to become legal citizens?

So, tell us, how many of them are not? How many of them are, and are still waiting for a response? Since you seem to have the inside scoop on it....

I asked a simple question. Whatever gave you the notion that I have an 'inside scoop'? Or, are you just being your normal angry, snarky self?

14 Dec 2011 14:13 #23 by LadyJazzer
And I asked a simple question back. Your so-called "question" implies that "these individuals are NOT making the effort." So, where's your proof? Where are your numbers?

When did Newt Gingrich start screwing around on his 3rd wife?... It's just a simple "question."

When did Gingrich, Romney and Santorum start having threesomes over at Santorum's house? ... It's just a simple "question."

14 Dec 2011 14:36 #24 by BearMtnHIB
How many years ago did you stop having sex LJ?

At least those other guys are still getting some!

Newt started screwing around with his 3rd wife when #2 turned into a bitch- same reason most other men find new love!

I'd bet that 99% of those here illegal are not trying to get legal, they have no reason to do so. Legal just means they have to get real social security #'s- start paying taxes- start paying medical bills- start buying car insurance and liability insurance and business licenses.

They get a free ride on all that stuff- and the politicians want to make sure their "undocumented" kids get a free pass to an american college!

What's the upside?

14 Dec 2011 18:00 #25 by Obam me
Bennet's bill just gives illegal aliens one more incentive to come here illegally and stay longer. If the freebies and educational incentives are removed we might see a drop in this illegal activity! Come here legally and they will find arms outstretched welcoming them here to study and earn a living...and pay their taxes, insurance, etc.

14 Dec 2011 18:28 #26 by ScienceChic
No, because they don't come here for freebies and incentives, they come here to work in a better paying job because there are more opportunities for them here - and that's not going to go away anytime soon. If you want to decrease the number of illegals we have, then make the work visa process easier (right now it's cumbersome, lengthy, and expensive, no wonder they bypass it and sneak in), so they are documented and then contribute their fair share to our economy in withholdings, etc.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Dec 2011 22:20 #27 by Rockdoc
Obviously the wording on such a bill is critical. It is one thing to have legally admitted foreign students and provide legislation to encourage them to stay in the US. It is another to have illegal foreign students. I think there needs to be a distinction made between the two.

15 Dec 2011 01:17 #28 by ScienceChic
The bill hasn't been uploaded yet so it's impossible to read firsthand what it exactly says, so I'm having to go on what Bennet's office has explained to reporters, rather than being able to analyze for myself what it says (and I hate relying on other peoples' interpretations, but have no choice here as of yet). Most of the stories I found are in agreement with the one cited below, explaining that the green cards are for foreign college and graduate students who are here on student visas and the undocumented students get student visas in order to attend college. There is no amnesty offered beyond that that I've read about except in one story (and it's the Huffington Post, which you guys usually dismiss as biased/wrong, so I'm sure :) <tongue-in-cheek> that you don't want to start believing them now! :biggrin: ) that claims that undocumented workers will be offered green cards also once graduating college so there is one discrepancy there that will be resolved once the actual bill is published for the rest of us to read for ourselves.

http://www.denverpost.com/politics/ci_19542420
Bennet bill seeks visas for illegal immigrants studying math, science
By Allison Sherry
Updated: 12/14/2011

In 2009, between half and two-thirds of all PhDs awarded by American universities in physics, economics, computer science and other technical fields were earned by international students. The problem is that the United States doles out a finite number of green cards or permanent visas to stay and work here. Companies have been complaining loudly to Congress for years that they can't get the help they need from the American pool. The number of EB-3 visas granted has slipped each year since 2005, from 129,070 to 39,762 in 2010, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

His proposal only provides a way for undocumented students to attend college as legal citizens on a student visa if they study science, math or technology.

Why do we want to encourage foreign students to stay?

The immigrant success stories are there already: More than 40 percent of the 2010 Fortune 500 companies, including Google and Yahoo, were founded by immigrants or their children and these companies employ more than 3.6 million people nationally.

Here is the bill number and title, with a link to where it will eventually be published below that.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D ... p/~bdGmu1: :
Bill Summary & Status
112th Congress (2011 - 2012)
S.1986

S.1986
Latest Title: A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to promote innovation, investment, and research in the United States, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Bennet, Michael F. [CO] (introduced 12/13/2011) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 12/13/2011 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.1986 :

The text of S.1986 has not yet been received from GPO
Bills are generally sent to the Library of Congress from the Government Printing Office a day or two after they are introduced on the floor of the House or Senate. Delays can occur when there are a large number of bills to prepare or when a very large bill has to be printed.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

15 Dec 2011 04:55 #29 by LadyJazzer
I'm still waiting for an answer to my question:

what is preventing these individuals from making the effort to become legal citizens?

How many of them are not? How many of them are, and are still waiting for a response?

You guys love to jump to conclusions based on nothing more than your prejudices and hatreds...Oh, sorry... "Just ask questions..." So I asked a question... I'm still waiting for an answer...

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds