Grocery Stores vs. Liquor Stores Poll

12 Jul 2010 12:49 #11 by EddieWess

SS109 wrote: If you want a wide selection, you will still be going to the liguor store.

That is why I polled No. The grocery stores will carry mostly BMC brands (Bud/Miller/Coors). They just don't have the shelf space for the great variety of craft beers and small brewery beers that I buy, I don't suppose their wine selections will be all that exhaustive either. I can go to Biggies and they can tell me about the various beers they stock, I don't think they will be able to do that at Safeway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jul 2010 12:52 #12 by ShilohLady

EddieWess wrote:

SS109 wrote: If you want a wide selection, you will still be going to the liguor store.

That is why I polled No. The grocery stores will carry mostly BMC brands (Bud/Miller/Coors). They just don't have the shelf space for the great variety of craft beers and small brewery beers that I buy, I don't suppose their wine selections will be all that exhaustive either. I can go to Biggies and they can tell me about the various beers they stock, I don't think they will be able to do that at Safeway.

So, what's wrong with that? Why can't the grocery stores carry the 'BMC brands' for those who don't care for the wider variety and still have the liquor stores available for those who DO want the wider selection?

12 Jul 2010 13:17 #13 by EddieWess

ShilohLady wrote:

EddieWess wrote:

So, what's wrong with that? Why can't the grocery stores carry the 'BMC brands' for those who don't care for the wider variety and still have the liquor stores available for those who DO want the wider selection?

I guess that there is the possibility that most people will buy their BMC from the grocery stores thereby taking customers from the liquor stores and forcing some of them out of business. BMC is their biggest seller too. I'm pretty sure that if this happens there will be fewer liquor stores in business. I also wonder if the proposed law gives the grocery chains the right to have more than one liquor license and will the indepenent liquor stores be given the same right enabling them to operate at more than one location? If not, then this is truly unfair.

12 Jul 2010 15:08 #14 by FredHayek
Correct me if I am wrong, but grocery stores can sell liquor now, but only one member of the chain can.

If they allow more than one member to sell booze, I believe you will have a limited selection at Kings & Safeway, but I think the real danger to the independents would be chain liquor stores. They would probably shut down more independents than the grocers. Might even hurt the liquor superstores like Applejack and Argonaut.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds