Grocery Stores vs. Liquor Stores Poll

09 Jul 2010 15:08 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Grocery Stores vs. Liquor Stores Poll was created by CinnamonGirl
This article by Jon at Biggie Liquor brought up an interesting topic. Got me thinking and I love to hear other's opinions. What are your thoughts on having liquor in grocery stores? What are the pros and cons?

Here is the article.
http://285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=2017

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jul 2010 15:20 #2 by ShilohLady
I'm in favor of beer and wine in grocery stores but not hard liquor.

09 Jul 2010 15:22 #3 by Ronbo
The artilce is nothing but his biased opinion. He does not provide any proof that it would hurt the industry if chain stores were allowed to sell liquor in all of their stores.

09 Jul 2010 18:16 #4 by Wayne Harrison
I love it when we go to Santa Fe. We can pick up a nice wine while shopping for groceries.

09 Jul 2010 18:57 #5 by LadyJazzer

Wayne Harrison wrote: I love it when we go to Santa Fe. We can pick up a nice wine while shopping for groceries.

Not only that, but they are enlightened enough that you can buy booze and wine after 12-noon on Sundays... Some states are more enlightened than others...

09 Jul 2010 19:36 - 10 Jul 2010 16:37 #6 by LOL
I voted other. The reason is, I have mixed feelings. While it would be more convenient one-stop shopping and possibly cheaper at first due to low margins at grocery stores, I sympathize with the Liquor store owners. They have played by the laws and rules and invested money in their businesses based on the laws at the time. Changing the laws will put some/many of them out of business, which may be good in the long run for consumers, but is it fair to them? Businesses invest money based on the laws, and some consistency and stability in rules and regulations is important for small businesses and all investors.

Also, this will have the effect of "Walmart-izing" the industry.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

10 Jul 2010 05:25 #7 by JMC
I've mixed feelings too. Joe's point make sense to me . These are small business people that have in many cases all their assets in the store.I think if done without thinking it could bankrupt a lot of people.

10 Jul 2010 05:31 #8 by LopingAlong
IN CA, you can buy anything at a grocery that you can at the liquor store and the liquor stores still do just fine. There is a state law that quotes a time period from 2 AM to 6AM I think that you can't buy liquor anywhere. Since it's been that way as long as I can remember, and since the liquor stores are aplenty, I doubt it would put liquor stores out of businessunless the big box stores come in and take over like many other businesses up here and in other rural areas.

10 Jul 2010 10:39 #9 by jf1acai
I don't see any advantage to changing it - but, I don't buy wine or hard liquor, and my neighborhood liquor store generally sells beer cheaper than the grocery stores, and is closer! :)

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

11 Jul 2010 16:35 #10 by FredHayek
I can see both sides here. Liquor stores seem to be one of the few independent brick & mortar stores that can survive, but I also am for the free market. I think the liquor stores will survive. If you want a wide selection, you will still be going to the liguor store.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds