best female actor?

30 Jan 2012 08:01 #1 by Blazer Bob
That is what they just said on Ch. 31.

When did actress become un PC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jan 2012 09:32 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic best female actor?
It has been that way for about 15 years.

Just like they try to not call them the "Lady Buffs" anymore.

And my pick, Meryl Streep, although her Thatcher voice slips into Julia Child a little too often.

I really don't understand why Actress fell out of favor. Or why Steward/Stewardess did.

I know Steward to me implies someone serving you aboard a luxury ship, much better than flight attendant. Really? The prefer to be called like someone who attends a flight. :lol:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

30 Jan 2012 11:53 #3 by Norm
Replied by Norm on topic best female actor?
The same applies to the archaic terms Waiter and Waitress - all are known now as Servers. I don't see a need to distinguish male from female when it comes to a job description/position but heck - who cares anyway?

30 Jan 2012 12:12 #4 by AspenValley
Replied by AspenValley on topic best female actor?

norma wrote: The same applies to the archaic terms Waiter and Waitress - all are known now as Servers. I don't see a need to distinguish male from female when it comes to a job description/position but heck - who cares anyway?

It could be because, not so very long ago, and possibly still for all I know, when consultants came in to set up pay grade systems, they habitually set lower pay ranges for jobs identified as "female". In a place I worked in the 90s, there were women and men doing the same type of jobs but the men had fancier titles. Although both did pretty much the same (semi-technical) work, the consultants came in and looked at the women's titles and classified them as "administrative" and the men's as "technical" and gave the men higher salaries. The consultants didn't even know the gender of the people filling these jobs, they just went off the titles. The company had been doing it that way for years. If they hired a woman, she had one title and a male doing pretty much the same work, another. I left that job partly in digust over this (although I wasn't affected personally) because management refused to rectify it.

30 Jan 2012 13:10 #5 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic best female actor?
I am seeing 'actress' in most of the printed media reports today. If you are talking about last night's SAG awards, they (SAG) have been listing 'female actors' since the SAG ceremonies started in 1994. I don't think there is anything about it tied to political correctness.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

30 Jan 2012 13:17 #6 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic best female actor?
If this all you have to worry about , you have a good life. Who cares! What a meaningless diatribe.

30 Jan 2012 13:22 #7 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic best female actor?

jmc wrote: If this all you have to worry about , you have a good life. Who cares! What a meaningless diatribe.

Exactly! What we really need is another thread about global warming, Obama's birth certificate or the GOP nomination.

Paging Dr. Filth...

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

30 Jan 2012 14:36 #8 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic best female actor?

photo-fish wrote: I am seeing 'actress' in most of the printed media reports today. If you are talking about last night's SAG awards, they (SAG) have been listing 'female actors' since the SAG ceremonies started in 1994. I don't think there is anything about it tied to political correctness.

Could be because they are the Screen Actors Guild? Want the title ot be inclusive so they don't exclude the females.

Is it sexist to have the acting prizes split up between men and women? Would men ever win Oscars if they had to compete against Meryl Streep every year?

Maybe it would be more fair to do it by age? 18-under, 19-34, and 35-over.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

30 Jan 2012 15:30 #9 by bailey bud
Replied by bailey bud on topic best female actor?
best female actress would be redundant, and say the same thing twice. I think it might even be repetitive. ..... :)

30 Jan 2012 17:17 #10 by Norm
Replied by Norm on topic best female actor?
:Whistle Didn't u just say it 3 times?

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds