How to have a home with no mortgage payments

30 Jan 2012 10:06 #1 by AspenValley
Cool idea this guy has but I'm pretty sure this wouldn't get past either Park or Jeffco building departments.

[youtube:3ip3o8uh]
[/youtube:3ip3o8uh]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jan 2012 11:57 #2 by ScienceChic
If I had no mortgage payments and utility bills, oh, the things I could do!

This won't work unless you are well outside city limits, but is certainly feasible. I like how he presents what he did, and offers to help others do the same.

I'd need a big cellar for food and wine storage! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

30 Jan 2012 12:11 #3 by Grady

30 Jan 2012 12:22 #4 by ScienceChic

Grady wrote: I can't believe I'm linking to the Huff & Puff

:rofl I don't think any less of you, if that's any consolation! :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

30 Jan 2012 12:25 #5 by AspenValley
I think I'd rather have a nice, neat little cabin out in the country than a rat and roach infested house in a slum of Chicago or Detroit, though....

30 Jan 2012 12:41 #6 by ScienceChic
You're got a good point there AV. I'd guess that many don't move because they are afraid of change - it's the way "we've always done it", we're raised with that "dream" of owning a fenced home, with spouse, kids, dog, acceptable job, etc., and many don't move far away from home. I grew up out in the sticks of Cinti, we had electricity (although it still goes out at least once a week for my parents), but no city water (cistern: and when the power went out, the pump didn't work), still no cable, crappy dial-up or satellite internet once it was available..so I'm more open to an idea like this than many of my city friends.

With the population growing, and land still available but becoming more scarce that can be bought like this (and there will be a tug of war over housing vs commercial vs farming continue), what will the future hold for opportunities such as this?

30 Jan 2012 12:48 #7 by AspenValley
If you don't mind living in the boonies, there is lots of cheap land available. Not much in Colorado, though I know a few people who've picked up cheap lots in certain areas. But places like Arkansas and upstate New York and the Northwoods of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan have a lot of cheap land for sale. A friend of mine just picked up 30 wooded acres right off a paved road and with electric available less than 100 feet away in upstate NY for $6200.

30 Jan 2012 12:53 #8 by Grady

AspenValley wrote: I think I'd rather have a nice, neat little cabin out in the country than a rat and roach infested house in a slum of Chicago or Detroit, though....

I have to agree, but there are many that won't live anyplace with out sidewalks, paved roads, water, sewer and cable.

30 Jan 2012 12:56 #9 by AspenValley

Grady wrote:

AspenValley wrote: I think I'd rather have a nice, neat little cabin out in the country than a rat and roach infested house in a slum of Chicago or Detroit, though....

I have to agree, but there are many that won't live anyplace with out sidewalks, paved roads, water, sewer and cable.

Been to Detroit lately? Sidewalks, paved roads, water and sewer and cable? Don't count on any of those things being in usable condition where those $1,000 houses are located.

30 Jan 2012 15:11 #10 by FredHayek
Maybe they need to permit homesteading in blighted urban areas again, You get a whole city block free if you promise to live there for 10 years and either fix up the block or demo 90% of the homes and restore it to farmland.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds