A sad day....

20 Mar 2012 07:14 #1 by CinnamonGirl
A sad day.... was created by CinnamonGirl
Encyclopedia Britannica ends its print edition after 244 years

the oldest manufacturer of encyclopedias has become one of the first major book publishing casualties of the digital age by cutting out its entire print operation.
The Encyclopedia Britannica, which has been in continuous print since it was first published in Edinburgh in 1768, said today that it will continue with digital versions currently available online.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1pf88I8Tp

Yes, my digital book rant continues.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Mar 2012 07:29 #2 by Nobody that matters
Replied by Nobody that matters on topic A sad day....
They had to adapt or die.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

20 Mar 2012 07:33 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic A sad day....
I really thought they would at least print (100) per year just as a hard storage alternative to put in a vault or a climate controlled mine.

Joke:
Britannica was created in Scotland in the 19th Century before moving to America in 1901. (According to Wikipedia.)

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Mar 2012 09:17 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic A sad day....
It would be worth printing for a while as a novelty. They would be worth alot someday if they just print a small amount.

20 Mar 2012 10:26 #5 by JSG
Replied by JSG on topic A sad day....
Nothing's stopping you from buying used sets online and keeping them, hoping the price rises. Bonus: You could read them while you're waiting.

20 Mar 2012 12:04 #6 by FredHayek
(Dating myself) I used to love reading through the old World Book encylopedias. Old school couch surfing, learning about "F" subjects.

20 Mar 2012 20:36 #7 by whitewolfie
Replied by whitewolfie on topic A sad day....
I know what you mean CG. Recently someone offered to sell a Kindle to me for really cheap. I thought about it, even took it home to try, and as I turned it on I realized one major thing wrong with it. There's just nothing like the smell of a new (to you) book, even an old book smells good! I know that's weird, but it brings back so many memories of laying in the yard as a kid with a book and the smell of the sun on the paper.

20 Mar 2012 22:13 #8 by Soulshiner
Replied by Soulshiner on topic A sad day....
We had an encyclopedia that said that one day man may travel to the moon.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

21 Mar 2012 06:59 #9 by Reverend Revelant
Replied by Reverend Revelant on topic A sad day....

whitewolfie wrote: I know what you mean CG. Recently someone offered to sell a Kindle to me for really cheap. I thought about it, even took it home to try, and as I turned it on I realized one major thing wrong with it. There's just nothing like the smell of a new (to you) book, even an old book smells good! I know that's weird, but it brings back so many memories of laying in the yard as a kid with a book and the smell of the sun on the paper.

It's Bush's fault.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

21 Mar 2012 07:06 #10 by FredHayek

whitewolfie wrote: I know what you mean CG. Recently someone offered to sell a Kindle to me for really cheap. I thought about it, even took it home to try, and as I turned it on I realized one major thing wrong with it. There's just nothing like the smell of a new (to you) book, even an old book smells good! I know that's weird, but it brings back so many memories of laying in the yard as a kid with a book and the smell of the sun on the paper.

KissyFace: You can become bi-textual like I am. If the bound book is cheaper than the Kindle version, I will buy the bound book. But when I go on vacation, it can be really nice to load up the e-reader with 10 or 12 books. And sometimes they have super cheap collections of an artist's works for only a $1. Like Charles Dickens.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds