Same Sex Marriage vs. Plural Marriage

14 Jul 2010 13:25 #1 by Silent Lucidity
What do you think will come first as a nation, our acceptance of same sex marriage or plural marriage?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jul 2010 13:38 #2 by Local_Historian
Same sex. Sorry - baby steps.

14 Jul 2010 13:43 #3 by Silent Lucidity
I think same sex too, but there are some Mormons that would like that to be different.

14 Jul 2010 14:21 #4 by stcroix2
Utah, Texas, Arizona and perhaps even Colorado already have inhabitants from the fundamentalist sect of the LDS church practicing the latter, and other than "state granted" rights to married couples, there are probably plenty of the former also. As for "accepted" within the laws, it seems we have a ways to go... I'm thinking we'll go for the same sex marriages, before we accept the plural marriages.

14 Jul 2010 14:31 #5 by FredHayek
I support both. I do believe you will see same sex first. Much more political support, and a bigger grassroots.

I think religious freedom would be the easiest way to pass multi-party marriage. Sharia law anyone? Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember different Islamic countries have different rules about how many woman you can marry. Kuwait is 4 right?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

14 Jul 2010 16:53 #6 by RivendaleFarms
How many men can you marry in Kuwait?

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

14 Jul 2010 16:54 #7 by JMC

RivendaleFarms wrote: How many men can you marry in Kuwait?

1/4?

14 Jul 2010 18:45 #8 by major bean
I do not believe that marriage, itself, will survive.

Regards,
Major Bean

14 Jul 2010 18:48 #9 by LopingAlong

JMC wrote:

RivendaleFarms wrote: How many men can you marry in Kuwait?

1/4?

:rofl That's funny! I'm Still chuckling over that one. You both are quite funny. :biggrin:

14 Jul 2010 22:19 #10 by Local_Historian

SS109 wrote: I support both. I do believe you will see same sex first. Much more political support, and a bigger grassroots.

I think religious freedom would be the easiest way to pass multi-party marriage. Sharia law anyone? Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember different Islamic countries have different rules about how many woman you can marry. Kuwait is 4 right?

I think the LDS folks will have a long haul on this one - they've had negative press for multiple marriage since the 1830s - that's 180 years of people being against them. Then add the sexual abuse, spousal abuse that has been heard of too much - it's a lot to overcome.

Kuwait is up to 4 wives, as long as you can financially support all of them equally.

Japan and China used to practice this in the upper classes as well, but there it was very unequal. Again, number of wives (and their children) that you can support, but first wife has all the power and can rule over, beat, even insist her husband set aside any of the other wives.

My husband wants a second wife, fine by me - but I'm first wife, and she gets to stay home and clean the place. I used to want it the other way, but tell you what, I hate cleaning.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds