And you wonder why...

16 Jul 2010 02:19 #1 by Rockdoc

Saudi Arabia: No terror lessons in school

[/b] It should say No Longer.....

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia, July 15 (UPI) -- The government of Saudi Arabia says it is cracking down on teachers who use the classroom to spread support of terrorism.

Officials said more than 2,000 teachers have been transferred to administrative positions in two years after they were found to be proselytizing for al-Qaida, Gulf News reported Thursday.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Internation ... 279249100/

Do you really think that moving former extremist teachers into administrative positions will change the course of teaching? Not a lot is my thought. It certainly explains general attitudes and perceptions in the ME.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jul 2010 02:32 #2 by Local_Historian
If they are in positions of higher authority, they could concievably force all the other teachers to teach the terrorist viewpoints. So not a cure at all - just making a situation worse.

16 Jul 2010 02:37 #3 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic And you wonder why...

Local_Historian wrote: If they are in positions of higher authority, they could concievably force all the other teachers to teach the terrorist viewpoints. So not a cure at all - just making a situation worse.

That potential exists, but the king is who makes the laws and he expects everyone to follow. This is not always the case especially in fundamentalist areas.

16 Jul 2010 09:23 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic And you wonder why...
Saudia Arabia has a touchy relationship with the fundamentalists. They have to placate them to a certain extent, don't let women drive, etc, otherwise the House of Saud could be overthrown. So they give the Wahabists(sp?) a certain amount of rope.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Jul 2010 09:36 #5 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic And you wonder why...

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia, July 15 (UPI) -- The government of Saudi Arabia says it is cracking down on teachers who use the classroom to spread support of terrorism.

Officials said more than 2,000 teachers have been transferred to administrative positions in two years after they were found to be proselytizing for al-Qaida, Gulf News reported Thursday.

Do you really think that moving former extremist teachers into administrative positions will change the course of teaching? Not a lot is my thought. It certainly explains general attitudes and perceptions in the ME.

Well-We shouldn't think we can tell people in foriegn lands what to think, say and teach. Who do we think we are? We'll never stomp out "terrorism" by killing everyone that hates us, and we certainly can't achieve it by trying to kill thoughts, opinions and ideas either-all we need to do is find out whats pissing them off, and stop doing that- even if it involves dumping Israel and paying $7 for a gallon for gasoline. The worlds not all about us you know..

The arogance

16 Jul 2010 09:45 #6 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic And you wonder why...

Vice Lord wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

Well-We shouldn't think we can tell people in foriegn lands what to think, say and teach. Who do we think we are? We'll never stomp out "terrorism" by killing everyone that hates us, and we certainly can't achieve it by trying to kill thoughts, opinions and ideas either-all we need to do is find out whats pissing them off, and stop doing that- even if it involves dumping Israel and paying $7 for a gallon for gasoline. The worlds not all about us you know..

The arogance

Egads VL. You completely missed the point. This has nothing to do with killing or telling them what they can or can not reach. It has everything to do with the difficulty of making peace. It's hard to reach world peace when we teach our children hatred. It's an indoctrination process of which I have seen first hand experience.

King Abdullah decrees the change in education not us.

BTW, I thought your wife forbade you to continue on forums?

16 Jul 2010 10:00 #7 by UNDER MODERATION

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

The arogance

Egads VL. You completely missed the point. This has nothing to do with killing or telling them what they can or can not reach. It has everything to do with the difficulty of making peace. It's hard to reach world peace when we teach our children hatred. It's an indoctrination process of which I have seen first hand experience.

King Abdullah decrees the change in education not us.

BTW, I thought your wife forbade you to continue on forums?

The hatred is a reaction to our foriegn policy...We aren't going to win the hearts and minds of these people until we change that...

PERIOD ,DONE, END OF SUBJECT

16 Jul 2010 11:21 #8 by Local_Historian
VL actually has a point - we do need to back off of telling other countries how they should run their systems, just because we don;t like them.

We have home grown terrorists right here - some just use words, but they are just short steps from weapon use. The Phelps family of Westboro Church - there's a form of terrorism.

16 Jul 2010 12:12 #9 by UNDER MODERATION

Local_Historian wrote: VL actually has a great point - we do need to back off of telling other countries how they should run their systems, just because we don;t like them.

thank you

16 Jul 2010 14:40 #10 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic And you wonder why...
VL,
Do you honestly think that if we roll over to the Islamic fundamentalists they will stop attacking us?
And how far does this rollover go? Not let our women drive? Cover them up? Don't allow Muslims to switch religions?

And don't do anything no matter what other countries do internally? You wouldn't even ask Pol Pot to stop killing his own people? Prevent Hitler from killing the people of occupied Europe since you aren't being attacked?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds