Novel idea?

26 May 2012 12:46 #1 by JMC
Novel idea? was created by JMC
If the Gov. needs to act more like a biz.
LETS SELL EQUITY!
They only sell debt today why not IPO the gov (10-15 % of valuation) Assets are strong and appreciating. Biggest IPO ever.
Retire debt with the use of proceeds and pay a dividend. Variable rate.
I'd buy it. The States could do it too. A separate exchange , limited voting rights.
Overnight the deficit would be gone. Think about it but I know this too smart for the regulars. My expectations are low.
If it sells out ,I only want a small commission.
No sources my own idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 May 2012 13:56 #2 by bassolegato
Replied by bassolegato on topic Novel idea?
Sounds too good and too logical. Must be something wrong with it! :)

26 May 2012 13:58 #3 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Novel idea?

bassolegato wrote: Sounds too good and too logical. Must be something wrong with it! :)

I was told it was idiotic or genius. Who knows.

26 May 2012 14:23 #4 by Reverend Revelant
Replied by Reverend Revelant on topic Novel idea?

jmc wrote: If the Gov. needs to act more like a biz.
LETS SELL EQUITY!
They only sell debt today why not IPO the gov (10-15 % of valuation) Assets are strong and appreciating. Biggest IPO ever.
Retire debt with the use of proceeds and pay a dividend. Variable rate.
I'd buy it. The States could do it too. A separate exchange , limited voting rights.
Overnight the deficit would be gone. Think about it but I know this too smart for the regulars. My expectations are low.
If it sells out ,I only want a small commission.
No sources my own idea.

More Private Equity, Less Government Subsidy, and More Tax Efficiency in Urban Revitalization

In hopes of revitalizing depressed urban areas, US tax policy has been to use tax credits as a major incentive to induce private equity re-investment. But those give away subsidies to private investors have failed to have transformative effects, and come at a price in the billions to the public treasury. This article seeks a shift in the tax policy paradigm to increase the private equity investment, while reducing tax subsidy dependence. For the philanthropic urban investor, the short term incentive of an annual tax benefit (credits from the annual tax returns) is singularly inadequate to cause a major shift in equity investments for the urban core. A preferred method of increasing that investor’s participation is to increase the return on investments through joint ventures with tax exempt entities.

As a catalyst for increasing that investment return, Congress should transform favorable, but non-precedential private letter rulings into statutory laws that strengthen the legal authority for joint ventures between private equity investors and tax exempt entities -a process this article terms “statutorization”.

This broadened base of private equity investors accelerates the timing and volume of projects that over the long term reduce both direct subsidies to the low income residents and the indirect subsidies to the investor-creators of those projects.

(You can download the whole study here)
http://works.bepress.com/roger_groves/4/

Roger M. Groves, Florida Coastal School of Law

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

26 May 2012 14:28 - 26 May 2012 17:17 #5 by JMC
OOPS! Never saw that. Still not the same as my idea. Not even close.

26 May 2012 14:35 #6 by Reverend Revelant

jmc wrote: OOPS! Never saw that.
Great minds?

For a second... I thought the abstract and study was written by you.

26 May 2012 14:37 #7 by JMC

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

Great minds?

Not that good.
What do you think?

26 May 2012 14:38 #8 by Reverend Revelant
Foreclosures Draw Private Equity As U.S. Sells Homes

Private equity firms are jumping into distressed housing as the U.S. government plans to market 200,000 foreclosed homes as rentals to speed up the economic recovery.

Creating more single-family rental properties is one of a series of programs introduced by President Barack Obama’s administration aimed at reviving the housing market.

Private equity funds began focusing on these investments in September, after the administration asked for proposals to sell the government’s inventory of foreclosed homes -- about half of all houses seized from delinquent borrowers.

The Federal Housing Finance Agency, which oversees Fannie Mae (FNMA) and Freddie Mac, plans to complete initial transactions in the first quarter of this year, offering some of the 180,000 foreclosed homes in their inventory to private operators as rental properties, Corinne Russell, a spokeswoman, said in a telephone interview.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-3 ... gages.html

Those big bad equity firms.

26 May 2012 14:40 #9 by Reverend Revelant

jmc wrote:

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

Great minds?

Not that good.
What do you think?

I already mentioned that I don't really understand squat about these more complicated financial stuff. I'm smart enough to read something, understand it may pertain to the topic of a thread and clip and paste it here, but my opinion would be totally uninformed.

26 May 2012 14:41 #10 by JMC

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote: Foreclosures Draw Private Equity As U.S. Sells Homes

Private equity firms are jumping into distressed housing as the U.S. government plans to market 200,000 foreclosed homes as rentals to speed up the economic recovery.

Creating more single-family rental properties is one of a series of programs introduced by President Barack Obama’s administration aimed at reviving the housing market.

Private equity funds began focusing on these investments in September, after the administration asked for proposals to sell the government’s inventory of foreclosed homes -- about half of all houses seized from delinquent borrowers.

The Federal Housing Finance Agency, which oversees Fannie Mae (FNMA) and Freddie Mac, plans to complete initial transactions in the first quarter of this year, offering some of the 180,000 foreclosed homes in their inventory to private operators as rental properties, Corinne Russell, a spokeswoman, said in a telephone interview.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-3 ... gages.html

Those big bad equity firms.

Big dodge, what do you think?

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds