Breastfeeding in uniform?

31 May 2012 11:02 #1 by Raees
These photos of two Air Force servicewomen breast feeding in uniform seems to have raised the ire of some people. I'm not sure why.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 May 2012 11:51 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Breastfeeding in uniform?
Good for them!

Hopefully they don't get in any trouble.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

31 May 2012 12:29 #3 by ComputerBreath
1. When an individual signs on the dotted line to join the military, they are agreeing to be regulated according to whatever rules are out there.

2. This would include prohibition of behaviors while wearing the uniform...as an individual in uniform represents not only the branch of military they are in, but the United States Government. Example: women can only wear one pair of earrings in their lower ear lobe, men cannot wear any earrings or piercings that are visible. There are also rules regarding tattoos, what is acceptable, what size can be shown, where the tattoo can be put, etc. In some places, military in uniform are not allowed to go to an off-base bar and stay for any length of time.

3. Yes, I'd say these women are going to get into trouble. It is one thing for new mothers to breast-feed or pump in a private location when in uniform...it is entirely another for them to do so in public and to have photos taken and shown by the media.

Just my opinions and some facts from my 20 years spent in the Air Force.

31 May 2012 12:39 #4 by Raees
Replied by Raees on topic Breastfeeding in uniform?
So there's something wrong with breast feeding in public in a uniform? That's in the manual? Geez.

31 May 2012 12:46 #5 by ComputerBreath
Maybe not wrong, as long as the woman is discreet...these women are not being discreet. Most of the rules of the military are ultra-conservative. I learned if it isn't written down that you can do it, then don't.

Men and women in uniform cannot hold hands walking down the street. PDA, called public display of affection, including hugging and kissing in uniform is frowned on. Walking down the street with your hands in your pockets is taboo. And last I heard, individuals that are not issued a government cell phone, are not allowed to use a civilian cell phone when in uniform. It is part and parcel of signing on the dotted line when you say your oath.

31 May 2012 13:23 #6 by Raees
Replied by Raees on topic Breastfeeding in uniform?
Looks to me like they're at a park and it's lunch time.

31 May 2012 13:30 #7 by Gunny
Replied by Gunny on topic Breastfeeding in uniform?
"Walking down the street with your hands in your pockets is taboo"

In the Army, we called those Air Force gloves. :lol: Just kidding, I'm sure you have a bunch of Army jokes, too...

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlein

31 May 2012 14:00 #8 by Martin Ent Inc
num, num, num, num...

31 May 2012 15:07 #9 by Mary Scott

Martin Ent Inc wrote: num, num, num, num...

rofllol

31 May 2012 15:44 #10 by Reverend Revelant

Raees wrote: These photos of two Air Force servicewomen breast feeding in uniform seems to have raised the ire of some people. I'm not sure why.

"Although there are currently no policies regarding military breastfeeding in uniform, U.S. law states that a woman may breastfeed her child in any federal building or on federal property. But that didn't stop angry commenters from posting on the group's Facebook page."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/31/pa ... eeding-in/

Nuff' said. If there is no military regulation that covers this, then there is nothing wrong. People can complain all they want, no one has violated any code. Funny thing. Only one of the three media articles I read had any mention as to whether is was some military code violation. The Fox New story above. Fair and Balanced.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds