Racism alive and well

02 Jul 2012 17:25 #21 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Racism alive and well

Science Chic wrote: Same mechanism, individuals and society as a whole will disagree as to which are worse than others based on what's happening in our communities and nation at that moment.

As for people on this board using them and "being allowed to remain", you know it's our policy to not ban people and to star out the commonly accepted classical racist terms. What they write is a reflection on themselves. What we tolerate is a reflection on ourselves. The N-word has always been starred out here, as has a few other racist terms. As for teabagger and salad tosser, since I'm guessing that's what you're getting at, they have sexual connotations about specific actions one does, not traits one has like skin color or gender. Splitting hairs, maybe, but in my personal opinion their use is juvenile and reflects more poorly on the poster using them than anything - if the best defense one has is to be offensive and try to piss others off as much as you've let them piss you off, it's a weak position. If everyone wants to vote in a poll to start starring them, fine by me. I'd prefer personal responsibility, restraint, not taking things personally, and a certain level of decorum myself because you get back what you give. Otherwise, we start down a slippery slope of what term is next to be used by a poster one doesn't like after their favorite is put on a list, until we turn into a "I need to be protected from myself and everyone else because I'm a victim" political correctness mentality. :Censored :Sick:

No, I was actually referring to religious bigotry that is most often overlooked unless it's against certain minority religions in the US.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jul 2012 17:34 #22 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Racism alive and well
Ahh, gotcha. Ignore my rambling then! :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds