Racism alive and well

01 Jul 2012 21:59 #1 by ScienceChic
I know this is a little older of an article, but since this seems to be a hotly contested topic here about who is and isn't and whether it still goes or not, I thought it a nice recap of what kind of racism still exists.

The real ‘Linsanity’ has a dark past — and a devious future
By Doug Farrar | Shutdown Corner – Sun, Feb 19, 2012

This isn't the crushing, institutional, government-subsidized racism America saw for far too long in different dimensions -- that's another book entirely, and people far more talented than I'll ever be have already written it many times over. This is the quiet bias that slips into conversation, sometimes unconsciously, and scurries away just as quickly.

And just because Jeremy Lin isn't restricted in the same ways Rube Foster and Buck O'Neil and Jackie Robinson and Curt Flood and Marlin Briscoe and so many others have been, doesn't make this any less dangerous. In fact, it's even more dangerous now, because instead of using the decades of actual progress that we have seen to inform their world view, some people with a pen and a "publish" button have taken any new awareness and simply used it to cloak their own neuroses in far more eloquent ways. Things get hidden, and go slipping away without recrimination. People are minimized with malice aforethought, and the perpetrators get away with it, because "we're better than that now."

The hell we are. Until and unless we become aware of the pain these things can cause on a daily basis, to ourselves and to others, we are as we have always been.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jul 2012 07:42 #2 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Racism alive and well
I kinda skimmed through the article but I didn't really see the evidence of racism in sports other than a couple anecdotal examples. I know racism is there like everywhere else, but I do think it was getting better until we elected a president who has tossed fuel on the flames and a DOJ that basically just ignored a racist organization that intimidated voters. JMO

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

02 Jul 2012 08:26 #3 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Racism alive and well
Of course racism is still alive and well - so is poverty - so is cancer - so are hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and earthquakes and corruption in government. You can no more eliminate racism than you can any other destructive force whether is it man-made or a product of nature. There is not a distinctive difference between racism and intolerance of others due to their political beliefs, religion or their economic situation. Some will always view themselves superior to others because of who they are and who the person they are intolerant of is. Get over it folks. All you can hope for is an elimination of the institutionalized intolerance of the society, you will never eliminate it from every individual.

02 Jul 2012 08:33 #4 by Rick

PrintSmith wrote: Of course racism is still alive and well - so is poverty - so is cancer - so are hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and earthquakes and corruption in government. You can no more eliminate racism than you can any other destructive force whether is it man-made or a product of nature. There is not a distinctive difference between racism and intolerance of others due to their political beliefs, religion or their economic situation. Some will always view themselves superior to others because of who they are and who the person they are intolerant of is. Get over it folks. All you can hope for is an elimination of the institutionalized intolerance of the society, you will never eliminate it from every individual.

:yeahthat:

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

02 Jul 2012 09:01 #5 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Racism alive and well
Sorry Printsmith, I don't give up on humanity that easily, nor do I believe that as we continue to evolve for several millennia, that it will be just to survive as is. Change must be for the better, else species go extinct.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Jul 2012 09:11 #6 by Rick

Science Chic wrote: Sorry Printsmith, I don't give up on humanity that easily, nor do I believe that as we continue to evolve for several millennia, that it will be just to survive as is. Change must be for the better, else species go extinct.

And the best place to start is at the top... we need leaders who lead by example.

George Orwell

02 Jul 2012 09:27 #7 by ScienceChic
That's a good part of it. We also need the public to become better critical thinkers and become more engaged - it's easy to forget that our politicians are us, we elect them. If they have become corrupt, it's because we let them.

02 Jul 2012 10:06 #8 by Nobody that matters

Science Chic wrote: Change must be for the better, else species go extinct.

No, change must improve the chances for survival, else species go extinct. You can't tie racism into evolution - it doesn't make any sense at all.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

02 Jul 2012 10:21 #9 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Racism alive and well

Science Chic wrote: Sorry Printsmith, I don't give up on humanity that easily, nor do I believe that as we continue to evolve for several millennia, that it will be just to survive as is. Change must be for the better, else species go extinct.

There will always be poor people and starving children SC - there is simply no getting around it. We will never get to a place where everyone is in the same economic strata with everyone else. Desire and drive alone make economic equality incapable of being realized. The same applies to racism. Someone will always despise everyone of a particular group because they are different from themselves. Color of skin is simply one of the many possibilities to choose from that will ultimately be chosen to justify their intolerance. There is no substantial difference between the religious bigot and the racist IMNTBHO, and if there is in yours, I would like to hear what you think the difference is.

02 Jul 2012 10:40 #10 by ScienceChic
Thought experiment for you: why do you think that there will always be poor and starving people, or that we'll not get rid of prejudices, or that we won't get to a place where everyone is on equal footing? Life is vastly different than it was even just 15,000 years ago, and will be vastly different only 15,000 years from now, much less 150,000+ years from now - none of the species alive on earth today will exist still at that point.

And no, there is no difference between religious discrimination, skin color discrimination, ethnic discrimination, political affiliation discrimination, gender discrimination, sexual preference discrimination, etc - they are all inconsequential criteria that small-minded people use to feel superior and justify inappropriate behavior towards. In the end, we are all one human species, stuck on the same planet, struggling with essentially the same problems (to varying degrees - food, clothing, shelter, instinct for procreation and preservation) as everyone else.

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds