Cheri Honkala

13 Jul 2012 14:23 #1 by Grady
Cheri Honkala was created by Grady
Nation’s leading anti-poverty advocate Cheri Honkala to be Green Party VP candidate
Jul 11, 2012
Green Party Presidential Candidate Dr. Jill Stein today announced her choice for running mate, the nation’s leading anti-poverty advocate, Cheri Honkala.

Honkala is National Coordinator for the Poor People’s Economic Human Rights Campaign, one of the country’s largest multi-racial, inter-generational movements led by the poor and homeless. Compelled by her own experience as a homeless, single mom, Honkala has spent nearly three decades working directly alongside the poor to build the movement to end poverty, and has organized tens of thousands of people to take action via marches, demonstrations and tent cities.

Read More Here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jul 2012 18:43 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Cheri Honkala
She sounds like a strong-willed, determined, persistent woman. Like that!

https://www.frontlinedefenders.org/node/489

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Jul 2012 19:17 #3 by Reverend Revelant
Replied by Reverend Revelant on topic Cheri Honkala
It sounds like wasted votes.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

13 Jul 2012 21:32 #4 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Cheri Honkala
At what point do we have to sink before it's not "wasted votes" but rather, the preferable choice over the two parties who haven't been improving our economy, educational system, healthcare system, government waste, etc.?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Jul 2012 08:39 #5 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Cheri Honkala

Science Chic wrote: At what point do we have to sink before it's not "wasted votes" but rather, the preferable choice over the two parties who haven't been improving our economy, educational system, healthcare system, government waste, etc.?

You have to understand the odds of a third party winning in THIS election right? They are astronomical. I could understand voting for the Green candidate if you think there is absolutely no difference in the R or the D, but in this election, it very obvious there is a difference. The issues are huge and by not voting for Obama or Romney, you may as well not even vote.

What have we seen of the Green party in the last couple years and how many Americans have even heard of Jill Stein? At least with Nader there was some name recognition and you kinda knew his positions. Don't get me wrong, I think a third party President would be good with a split congress, but you can't just hope that somehow an unknown running in an unknown party will magically have a chance (especially when ignored by the media).

A thrid party needs to be at least a blip on the media radar. If the Tea Party was an actual party and not just a sentiment, a candidate might get a little traction but would still get stomped and would ensure a Dem win. These third parties need to do a lot of work years before an election to be relevant and I've seen nothing from the Green Party that would lead me to believe they'll get more than 5% of the vote.

“We can’t afford four more years of this”

Tim Walz

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds