GOP Voter ID Campaign Based On Bunk, Data Shows

13 Aug 2012 13:17 #1 by LadyJazzer

GOP Voter ID Campaign Based On Bunk, Data Shows

The stated rationale behind the Republican campaign to require voter ID at the polls is utterly baseless, evidence from a new study confirms.

Republican legislatures are increasingly imposing strict ID requirements for voters, ostensibly to deter in-person voter fraud. But voter fraud in general is rare. And that particular form of voter fraud is "virtually non-existent," according to the extensive public-records search conducted by News21, a nonpartisan investigative news project funded by the Carnegie and Knight foundations. Researchers filed more than 2,000 public-records requests and reviewed nearly 5,000 court documents, official records and media reports to get their information.

They identified 2,068 alleged cases of voter fraud since the year 2000, a period during which there have been more than 600 million votes cast in presidential elections alone. That, the study noted, is an "infinitesimal amount." It also showed a total of 10 cases of in-person voter fraud during that period.

With Republicans in control of so many state houses, 25 laws and two executive actions to restrict voting have passed since the beginning of 2011, in 19 states. The most common new voting law , now effective in nine states, requires voters to show certain government-issued photo identification cards.

The News21 research began by reviewing more than 300 cases of alleged voter fraud collected by the Republican National Lawyers Association. But the researchers said they found that the list consisted "mainly of newspaper articles about a range of election issues, with little supporting evidence of actual in-person voter fraud."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/1 ... 73142.html

Wow...Imagine my surprise.... :Snooze

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2012 13:20 #2 by BearMtnHIB
We gotta find out where you work so we can have a chat with your manager.

You do not have enough on your plate.

13 Aug 2012 13:23 #3 by FredHayek
So. The people want it. They elected the Republicans who promised to be tough on voter ID.

Representative goverment is just that and photo voter ID is popular with both parties voters. The only ones who hate it are limousine liberals who want to make cheating easier.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 Aug 2012 13:31 #4 by archer

FredHayek wrote: So. The people want it. They elected the Republicans who promised to be tough on voter ID.

Representative goverment is just that and photo voter ID is popular with both parties voters. The only ones who hate it are limousine liberals who want to make cheating easier.

Got it....it's OK to propagate a lie as long as you can convince the voters to believe it. That answers the question "when is a lie not a lie"? When you convince someone else to believe it.

13 Aug 2012 13:38 #5 by LadyJazzer

BearMtnHIB wrote: We gotta find out where you work so we can have a chat with your manager.

You do not have enough on your plate.

You need to stop worrying about what I do, how I do it, where I do it, how much I get paid for doing it, and all of the rest of the sh*t you obsess on which is none of your f**king business.

13 Aug 2012 13:55 #6 by Grady

archer wrote:

FredHayek wrote: So. The people want it. They elected the Republicans who promised to be tough on voter ID.

Got it....it's OK to propagate a lie as long as you can convince the voters to believe it. That answers the question "when is a lie not a lie"? When you convince someone else to believe it.

What exactly is the lie that you think is being propagated? The bigger lie is that having to show a valid ID to vote discriminates against minorities and the poor.

13 Aug 2012 14:07 #7 by RCCL
You never know when someone's looking to pull a few votes by offering amnesty to some aliens....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57492229-71/obama-to-nasa-i-want-to-know-about-martians-right-away/

Cnet's News Story wrote: With the Olympics still in midstride, and with the arrival of the always exciting NFL exhibition games, you might perhaps have missed that a spacecraft landed on Mars a few days ago to express our human curiosity.

President Obama, however, has made it very clear that, should little beings be found out there, they will immediately become his top priority.

13 Aug 2012 14:20 #8 by FredHayek
Just like illegal immigration. Both party bases want it to end but the politicians don't bother to enforce what they pass.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds