End Of WASP Rule?

20 Aug 2012 07:47 #1 by FredHayek
End Of WASP Rule? was created by FredHayek
There are no White Anglo-Saxon Protestants on either ticket. And the Supreme Court has no WASP's either. Is this just a blip or part of a larger trend?

Thread idea stolen from [url=http://www.electoral-vote.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.electoral-vote.com[/url]

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Aug 2012 09:44 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic End Of WASP Rule?
This quote at the end of that gave some food for thought:

One cannot but wonder if a lot of the hatred and partisanship in politics ...is a manifestation that the guard is changing and the people who used to run the show don't any more. Some of them may not be taking the end of their monopoly graciously.

Change is never easy to accept, the only certainty is that it will happen; it's just how slow and painful will it be?

This headline at that link caught my attention, especially because we got a phone call yesterday from an Obama campaign office in California (I accidentally answered b/c hubby's company headquarters are in SF, and I thought it might be a business call) asking if we'd decided who we were going to vote for in the election (and then proceeded to list Obama, Romney, a "3rd party candidate", or undecided). I wonder if they are gauging how many really are undecided? Because when I told him I was leaning toward Jill Stein, and hubby was undecided, he didn't spend any extra time trying to convince us of their side, just said thanks and hung up.

2012 Will Be A Base Election
Here is yet another article claiming that the number of voters who truly haven't made up their minds yet is tiny, so the election will be won by the party that does the better job of turning out its base. One way to get a high turnout is to move away from the center and make more open appeals to the base rather than the middle. So we are likely to see a very partisan campaign when it really starts after Labor Day.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Aug 2012 14:13 #3 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic End Of WASP Rule?
Might be the first time ever where the majority of the candidates from the major parties are of the Catholic persuasion instead of protestants of one stripe or another.

21 Aug 2012 13:00 #4 by Achmed
Replied by Achmed on topic End Of WASP Rule?
Do not forget there is at least one Muslim in there. Praise Allah!

21 Aug 2012 13:06 #5 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic End Of WASP Rule?

Achmed wrote: Do not forget there is at least one Muslim in there. Praise Allah!

I thought BHO was a secular humanist? :wink:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds