New tax on Gold was snuck into the Healthcare joke of a bill

21 Jul 2010 15:23 #11 by The Viking

Joe wrote: I think its related to this Viking... http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/09/smallbu ... 099_flood/

Many more 1099s for a lot of small business transactions. IRS wants more documentation. Some articles say that they will be overloaded with data from this.

I also read they are cracking down on Independent Contractors, or the companies that use them. Unfortunately for me, as that's what I do, or used to do. :)

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/29/pf/taxe ... 2010032909

It was all about making the CBO numbers look good for the healthcare bill, whether the revenues actually materialize is anyones guess. Sure doesn't sound like policies friendly to growing small businesses. Good for accountants needing work though.

Good point so that just adds that much more that this health care bill is actually costing us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jul 2010 15:27 #12 by LOL
It was designed to increase the paper trail so the IRS can collect more revenues. Supposedly from tax cheats. In truth, alot of small businesses can fly under the radar and not report everything. The problem I see is unintended consequences of a massive new reporting headache and more paperwork. Its not like taxes are simple now.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

21 Jul 2010 17:32 #13 by Residenttroll returns
Typical Obama and Liberal Democrat Bill....it's like a taking a dump in the toilet and then looking in the toilet to see what splashed...but you knew all along it was crap.

21 Jul 2010 18:06 #14 by UNDER MODERATION

residenttroll wrote: Typical Obama and Liberal Democrat Bill....it's like a taking a dump in the toilet and then looking in the toilet to see what splashed...but you knew all along it was crap.

Sounds like your mom's description of your child birth

21 Jul 2010 18:09 #15 by JMC

Vice Lord wrote:

residenttroll wrote: Typical Obama and Liberal Democrat Bill....it's like a taking a dump in the toilet and then looking in the toilet to see what splashed...but you knew all along it was crap.

Happy to see the conversation being uplifted to the intellectual levels I always thought they could achieve.

21 Jul 2010 18:11 #16 by UNDER MODERATION

JMC wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Happy to see the conversation being uplifted to the intellectual levels I always thought they could achieve.

He started it

21 Jul 2010 18:14 #17 by JMC

Vice Lord wrote:

JMC wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

He started it

Couldn't have said it better. LOL

21 Jul 2010 18:46 #18 by HEARTLESS
Grady and Viking, yes its the crackheads in control now.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

21 Jul 2010 19:08 #19 by pineinthegrass

The Viking wrote: So this administration is taking on and hurting Wall Street, and they are now putting a tax on Gold to control that because people are taking money out of government controlled investments and buying gold. They are kind of herding everyone back to the banks for investments. Good thing they don't have any interest in those.......uh oh....... It's all making sense now. :VeryScared:

Unlike what you said, and the title of this topic, I don't see any new tax here from what I read at your link. And BTW, if you click for more info at your link, you get a video going after Glen Beck and other conservatives for endorsing a gold sales company with questionable practices. :)

If you make a profit from selling gold (or most any other investment), you have to pay a tax (usually capital gains) on that profit. I don't see that anything has changed in regards to owing a tax, nor how much you'd owe. They are just requiring that a 1099 be filed on the transaction (as it's always been required when selling stocks, for instance). This is to make sure that people are less likely to make transactions under the table and not pay the tax they legally owe.

It's an anti tax cheat measure. Do you really have a problem with that?

21 Jul 2010 19:10 #20 by UNDER MODERATION

pineinthegrass wrote:

The Viking wrote: So this administration is taking on and hurting Wall Street, and they are now putting a tax on Gold to control that because people are taking money out of government controlled investments and buying gold. They are kind of herding everyone back to the banks for investments. Good thing they don't have any interest in those.......uh oh....... It's all making sense now. :VeryScared:

Unlike what you said, and the title of this topic, I don't see any new tax here from what I read at your link. And BTW, if you click for more info at your link, you get a video going after Glen Beck and other conservatives for endorsing a gold sales company with questionable practices. :)

If you make a profit from selling gold, you have to a tax (usually capital gains) on that profit. I don't see that anything has changed in regards to owing a tax, nor how much you'd owe. They are just requiring that a 1099 be filed on the transaction (as it's always been required when selling stocks, for instance). This is to make sure that people are less likely to make transactions under the table and not pay the tax they legally owe.

It's an anti tax cheat measure.

Viking- Do you need a tissue to wipe the egg off your face?

Again

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds