ABC - Romney Hits the 50 % Mark, 57% with Independents

26 Oct 2012 11:55 #1 by Reverend Revelant
Romney Hits the 50 Percent Mark, With a Clear Edge on the Economy

Mitt Romney has seized further advantage on economic issues at the core of the 2012 campaign, taking him to 50 percent support among likely voters vs. 47 percent for Barack Obama – Romney’s highest vote-preference result of the contest to date.

HORSE RACE – Romney never before has exceeded 49 percent support in ABC/Post polls, making his 50 percent a new high numerically. That includes new highs among a range of groups – including 60 percent support among whites, 56 percent among white women, 58 percent among middle- to upper-middle income adults and 83 percent among conservatives.

Most strikingly, Romney’s advanced to 57 percent support among independents. They’re a changeable group, less rooted in partisan predispositions, so their eventual preferences – and their turnout – are uncertain. But they’re key to Romney’s current fortunes; he’s improved among independents by 9 points in the past week.

The debates are one apparent reason. By a broad 47-10 percent, independents say the debates left them with a better rather than a worse impression of Romney. In the same group, by contrast, just 17 percent say their impression of Obama improved – and 26 percent say it got worse.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... e-economy/

:woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo:

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Oct 2012 11:58 #2 by Raees
I guess those polls aren't biased after all, said no conservative ever.

26 Oct 2012 12:03 #3 by Reverend Revelant

Raees wrote: I guess those polls aren't biased after all, said no conservative ever.

Well I've never said it. And I'm not responsible for what someone else says. I guess we are going to have to go with the polls, which are slowly becoming more favorable to Romney... I'm so sad I could cry (snark, snark)

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

26 Oct 2012 13:09 #4 by FredHayek
One key point. With voters who are still undecided at this point, they are more likely tovote for the challenger over the incumbent. Especially when the economy sucks, like Carter & Bush I.
No President has been re-elected with unemployment over 7% since FDR.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

30 Oct 2012 17:25 #5 by Raees

FredHayek wrote: One key point. With voters who are still undecided at this point, they are more likely to vote for the challenger over the incumbent.

30 Oct 2012 17:55 #6 by CC
More pics....Now the left can get it.

30 Oct 2012 22:13 #7 by Raees
Another funny one:

31 Oct 2012 06:14 #8 by PrintSmith

Raees wrote: I guess those polls aren't biased after all, said no conservative ever.

For whatever reason you seem incapable of wrapping your mind around the argument regarding the potential bias that exists when a poll is weighted using participation data from only the 2008 election. I don't know if that is because you don't understand the argument or that as a "progressive" you simply can't help but resort to misrepresenting it.

Let me spell it out for you Raees. Presuming the argument is correct and that ABC hasn't altered their method of weighting their polls, Romney has more support than the poll suggests, not less. Obama doesn't excite in 2012 the way he did in 2008. Young voters are not going to vote in the numbers that they did in 2008. Black voters are not as excited to vote this time around, we've already elected our first black president and the Black community isn't universally happy about his performance the last 4 years. Chris Matthews doesn't have a thrill going up his leg every time the President speaks this time around. Undecided voters are essentially undecided about whether they want the same president for the next 4 years. Early voting in Colorado shows more Republicans casting ballots than Democrats, the first time that has been seen.

If the argument about the weighting is correct Romney has upwards of 53% and Obama less than 45%. You had better hope that the voting demographic didn't change from 2008, because if it has there is no way Obama wins this election. Unless the voter turnout is very similar to 2008, in which record numbers of historically Democratic blocks participated, the 2012 electoral map is going to look more like it did in 2004 than it did in 2008.

31 Oct 2012 10:57 #9 by Raees
I have no doubt you could convincingly argue whatever side you are on is the correct one. You're like a lawyer in that respect.

31 Oct 2012 12:25 #10 by Nobody that matters

Raees wrote: You're like a lawyer in that respect.

Geeze, there's no need to get that nasty.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds