Will America's Race Wars Ever End?

25 Jul 2010 20:40 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Will America's Race Wars Ever End? was created by CinnamonGirl

Ackerman, now of Wired.com, told fellow liberals to accuse conservatives of racism if they write critically about Obama's former pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright: "take one of them — Fred Barnes, Karl Rove, who cares — and call them racists," Ackerman wrote.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/opinions ... r-End-4451

If you ask me the way to end the race thing is to STOP talking about it all the time. This is getting ridiculous.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jul 2010 21:48 #2 by Wayne Harrison
So your solution to stop talking about it is to bring up something that was written in 2008?

25 Jul 2010 23:26 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Will America's Race Wars Ever End?
This article was written on July 25th, 2010

25 Jul 2010 23:35 #4 by Wayne Harrison
But it's about a post that was made in 2008 (you know, back when we were all upset about the Rev. Wright, when Obama was campaigning?). It just happens to be the Republicans outrage of the day. I can't help it if they're digging up two-year-old material to get upset about.

As it says in the article you posted the link to, it was posted on a "now defunct e-mail listserv."

From the link in our article: "The documents show journalists discouraging one another from covering the Rev. Jeremiah Wright story during Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign."

25 Jul 2010 23:47 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Whatever, 2008 or 2010. Just live and let live and life is alot easier. Talking about it over and over doesn't make it go away and fuels the fire. Look at people as people and not groups.

That is how I do it. My mother dated/then lived with an African American man when I was a teen. We lived with his family for about 6 months and we all got along. It was no big deal ever. They were just people like me. Different cultures that was fun to learn about but no problems beyond that. We never talked about it.

26 Jul 2010 00:02 #6 by Wayne Harrison
I dated a black woman when I was working temporarily in Kansas City in about 1975 or so. One time we went to a movie, walked in and sat down. The couples on either side of us got up and moved (not at the same time). Races mixing was still looked down on at that time in some places. I grew up in the days of segregated schools and separate facilities for blacks in the South.

The most interesting thing to me about racism is the people who are most racist usually turn out to be the least intelligent -- like many involved in the Aryan Nations. I think their racism comes from having to find someone they can feel superior to -- even though they had nothing to do with being born white.

26 Jul 2010 00:13 #7 by CinnamonGirl
When that stuff happened I ignored it. I see people as people and not groups. I dated some men of other races long, long time ago. Yeah, some people would look at us. Yes, my African american friends told me some yucky stories of some things that happened to them but they just did not let that change who they were and did not spend too much time on it. And we would have never dreamed of talking about race like what these papers do. I still think it fuels the fire. Really, just move on your merry way and do what is comfortable. Confronting it, unless there is some horrible injustice, just does nothing. The fighting about it and mentioning it all the time is why it is not going away. I know that is simplistic but it works for me.

26 Jul 2010 06:10 #8 by LOL
CG I think its mainly the media and a few political hacks that like to keep it going for their own purposes. I am tired of hearing it also and we have very serious economy and fiscal problems to worry more about. I had a black roommate in college and we got along great.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

27 Jul 2010 22:24 #9 by Wayne Harrison

Joe wrote: CG I think its mainly the media and a few political hacks that like to keep it going for their own purposes.

On that note...

When Race Is the Issue, Misleading Coverage Sets Off an Uproar

It is an open question whether conservative media outlets risk damage to their credibility when obscure or misleading stories are blown out of proportion and when what amounts to political opposition research is presented as news.

Jane Hall, a communication professor at American University and a former contributor to Fox News, said partisan media outlets “look for something that will get an audience and that will whip up people in some kind of frenzy, warranted or not.”

Ms. Hall said what Ms. Sherrod had endured was “classic propaganda.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/busin ... 6race.html

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds