Get ready for the next round of attacks on the 2nd.

19 Jan 2013 07:53 #11 by Grady
I know that a lefty law professor dug up some statements, alluding that the 2nd was put in place to satisfy Virginia’s need to protect it’s state militia. Keep in mind that at the time every state not just the southern states had their own militias that they wanted to protect. The Supreme Court has affirmed that the 2nd is an individual right. I’ll go with the Supreme Court over some dyed-in-the-wool liberal law professor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Jan 2013 09:13 #12 by LadyJazzer
So you are saying that you're okay with the Supreme Court affirming that a State right can be expanded to cover your right to own an assault weapon, but you're not okay with them expanding the privacy-rights of women to make their own decisions about what they can do with their bodies...

Got it...

19 Jan 2013 09:52 #13 by Rick

LadyJazzer wrote: So you are saying that you're okay with the Supreme Court affirming that a State right can be expanded to cover your right to own an assault weapon, but you're not okay with them expanding the privacy-rights of women to make their own decisions about what they can do with their bodies...

Got it...

But you neglect to mention anything about the right of the human being flushed... there's a big difference in the right to own a weapon and the right to take a life.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

19 Jan 2013 10:24 #14 by Something the Dog Said
According to Patrick Henry, American patriot, founding father and slave owner in campaigning for the 2nd Amendment:
"If the country be invaded, a state may go to war, but cannot suppress [slave] insurrections [under this new Constitution]. If there should happen an insurrection of slaves, the country cannot be said to be invaded. They cannot, therefore, suppress it without the interposition of Congress . . . . Congress, and Congress only [under this new Constitution], can call forth the militia."

The fact is that southern states of that time required white 18 - 45 year old males to join the regulated state militias to patrol slave quarters for possible insurrections.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

19 Jan 2013 11:55 #15 by FredHayek
So what? State militias were fighting Indian's, Brits in the War of 1812, rebels during the American Civil War. If you think the 2nd amendment is only about slave revolts, you are naive.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

19 Jan 2013 12:19 #16 by Grady
First: I have never made any sort of statement regarding " privacy-rights of women to make their own decisions about what they can do with their bodies".

Second The Supreme Court and those that argue in front of the court are some of the finest constitutional legal minds in the country.

Third Carl T Bogus is a law professor in what at best can be described as a third or maybe even fourth tier law school.

Law school rankings

19 Jan 2013 13:22 - 19 Jan 2013 13:25 #17 by LadyJazzer

Grady wrote: First: I have never made any sort of statement regarding " privacy-rights of women to make their own decisions about what they can do with their bodies".

Insert stock response: IT AIN'T ALWAYS ABOUT YOU !!!....I don't CARE what you, personally, have or have not said about Pro-CHOICE... It's the collective "YOU" of the GOTP and their "legitimate rape" insanity... And there ARE, in fact, a bunch of the 'baggers on 285Bound that HAVE made statements and violently oppose women's rights to make their own decisions...

So spare me the "I've never said _____" garbage.

And I could care less what you think of Bogus' school ranking... He's every bit as qualified as that wingnut, Lapierre, to express the legal ramifications.

19 Jan 2013 13:23 #18 by archer

Grady wrote: First: I have never made any sort of statement regarding " privacy-rights of women to make their own decisions about what they can do with their bodies".

Second The Supreme Court and those that argue in front of the court are some of the finest constitutional legal minds in the country.

Third Carl T Bogus is a law professor in what at best can be described as a third or maybe even fourth tier law school.

Law school rankings

Really? you are going to discredit someone because of where they went to law school? not every brilliant lawyer came out of a top tier law school....same with doctors, or any other profession.

19 Jan 2013 13:33 #19 by Martin Ent Inc
7 states are now adding 2nd amendment protection acts to their state laws.

19 Jan 2013 13:45 #20 by FredHayek

archer wrote:

Law school rankings

Really? you are going to discredit someone because of where they went to law school? not every brilliant lawyer came out of a top tier law school....same with doctors, or any other profession.

Please, even his own name implies something is up, Bogus? Sometimes the jokes write themselves. Here, let me find some pro-2nd amendment teaching assistant from Jerry Falwell's Liberty University. Would you take what he said with a grain of salt?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds