Get ready for the next round of attacks on the 2nd.

20 Jan 2013 17:06 #81 by The Boss

archer wrote: I just don't see the either/or scenario.....are we so limited in intelligence that we cannot tackle two or more issues at once? The desire for gun laws that restrict some magazines and assault rifles, the desire for stricter registration rules, did not start with Sandy Hook, or Aurora....it has been simmering for decades, and every time it is even approached we get this hysteria about taking away 2nd amendment rights, and trampling all over the constitution. It takes a tragedy like Sandy Hook to tip the scales, and if we, as a society, do not take advantage of the moment, then it will continue to simmer, but again it will do so on the back burner and soon be nearly forgotten. I would prefer to not kick this particular can down the road any more. Unlike you.....I am a gun owner, I do have both pistol and rifle.....for my own protection and for that of my family and domestic critters.....I see nothing in the current or proposed laws that would infringe on my right to own, carry, or purchase a gun.....

edited to add....nor do I see a time when guns are completely outlawed in this country, the OMG they are going to take away all our guns is hysteria, pure and simple.

Archer, I don't think you get to get your way on not having policy decisions be either or, I feel it is just a reality. We clearly have the intelligence, we just don't have all the tools in place to have the meaningful debate and also not displace something else that was on fire. We all prioritize, our leaders did re-prioritize as a result of the shootings. It is happening (various types of gun control), I am not denying it, but I know in my heart that all the time and effort that has been spent on gun control both by our govt and by this courthouse community, has displaced discussions of the economy.

On the street, my discussions are still with folks that don't have opportunity, but want to work. We have lowered the priority on that, not forgotten it and we are currently very focused on the gun control, I just feel bad for so many people that, as you and others have said, are so very dependent on our systems of support, those on the bottom rungs, there are just so many and so few at risk due to guns right now. I sort of ask, why can't we just keep gun control on the whiteboard to address once we have most of us back to work and producing for our families? That's my only real point.

We have the smarts, but even our smarts take time, so we must prioritize, it is either or every moment of every day for everyone one of us. I recognize that weakness and I am trying to find the best solution for all of us despite that by talking to intelligent people like you, and that is not a poke, but an actual compliment for challenging me. My reactions often don't initially indicate my compassion, but it is there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jan 2013 17:16 #82 by chickaree
When you consider that 1% of dealers supply 60% of guns used in criminal actions it seems more logical to focus first on the problem dealers before you enact sweeping new regulations with possible unintended consequences.

Gun Dealer Regulation and Oversight
The Center for Gun Policy and Research is committed to studying and reducing the transfer of firearms from legal to illegal markets. The Center’s work in this area focuses on the role of gun dealers in supplying traffickers and facilitating illegal straw purchases of firearms.

A recent analysis of U.S. firearm commerce uncovered that only 1% of licensed dealers were responsible for nearly 60% of guns traced to crime. Responding to the need for improved regulations, Center experts consulted to help develop a 10-point gun dealer code of conduct adopted by Wal-Mart in 2008. This set of policies includes mandatory video recording of all firearm transactions, a computerized log of crime gun traces relating to the retailer, criminal background checks for all employees selling or handling firearms, and strict control of firearm inventory. Center research has continued to be used by mayors and state legislators to develop and advocate for policies to reduce criminally obtained illegal guns.

As corrupt retail gun dealers accounted for more guns diverted into the illegal market than any other single trafficking channel, investigation of gun dealer regulation and oversight is a principal effort of the Center for Gun Policy and Research.

http://www.jhsph.edu/research/centers-a ... cking.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds