Retail Recreational Marijuana?

21 Feb 2013 19:24 #1 by FredHayek
Looks like most towns want to ban or severely restrict brick and mortar locations. Any places that are welcoming retail

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Feb 2013 19:26 #2 by FredHayek
Operations? Maybe some down on their luck tourist town or ski area? Who knows they could become a new Blackhawk.

21 Feb 2013 21:00 #3 by otisptoadwater
While I'm not in favor of retail MJ for recreational purposes the law is what the law is and since there seems to be plenty of demand why not set up some retail outlets and reap the profits and taxes? My first instinct would be to put the retail locations in remote areas that would welcome the revenue but that seems to me like it would be setting people up for DWIs.

So if not in rural locations then where? Red light districts on the edge of questionable parts of urban centers? You can't fix stupid, some percentage of people will continue to drink, smoke dope, and get drugged up and then drive. Perhaps by setting up a red light district that is all pedestrian with some cheap lodging options might encourage those who choose to imbibe to enjoy their poison of choice and stay put until they are sober enough to safely go about their business.

On the other hand, how long would it take before these red light districts degenerate into the Opium dens of the 1800s? I think many people are all for the recreational use of pot but few would welcome a retail outlet in their back yard.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

21 Feb 2013 22:49 #4 by deltamrey
Given Prop 64 passed by a WIDE margin, seem sthis little issue will go away....the people have spoken........I feel sure locals will sort it out and given the depression(and cuts in fed budgets) in many CO areas $$$$$$$$$ will talk.Millions in tax revenue will drive most decisions.

21 Feb 2013 22:58 #5 by otisptoadwater
No question that there is money to be had hand over fist; would you be comfortable with a retail outlet in your back yard? What if a pot retailer setup in the old Safeway strip mall and set their hours as 24/7? Would it be better if the hours of operation were limited to Monday - Friday, 0800-1800?

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

22 Feb 2013 05:00 #6 by FredHayek
Personally I prefer a distribution network like liquor stores buy it and bring it home. Less chance of drugged driving versus the destination pot clubs that seem to be starting.

22 Feb 2013 06:51 #7 by Photo-fish
Destination pot clubs like Redrocks and Boulder. :biggrin:

It's a good idea to lower the amount that out of state buyers could purchase to prevent 'Smurfing'.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

22 Feb 2013 07:51 #8 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Retail Recreational Marijuana?
If it's legal and you don't have retail stores available to sell it, it's just gonna get sold on the streets anyway like it has been for decades. It's clear that these retail stores will end up in the crappy areas like Commerce City and depressed areas of town where dispensaries already exist. It's just like used car lots... nobody wants one in their neighborhood unless the neighborhood is already a 'hood'. Forcing people to buy weed from high crime areas will create a larger underground network of untaxed and cheaper weed. Pot isn't like alchohol in that it's pretty easy to reproduce and since it's legal anyway, how much effort and $$$ will be a spent on hunting down black market grow operations? I just don't see huge amounts of tax revenue coming out of this new law unless pot stores are in every city and not just in the shit holes.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

12 Dec 2013 19:48 #9 by Rick

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

13 Dec 2013 07:15 #10 by FredHayek
I was at the Bronco game last night and present with the smells of burgers and dogs was ganja.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds