Dakota Ridge Fire Shuts Down C-470

02 Aug 2010 19:54 #1 by Residenttroll returns
Glad I knew my way around as I took back roads to get up the hill. The roads all over Lakewood were jammed with the over reaction closure of C-470.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Aug 2010 20:06 #2 by AV8OR
We just drove by it around 7 pm. Looks like an appreciable amount of assets were on scene. I did not read or hear of the cause, but with it being so close to the highway, I wonder if it was a cigarette butthead flicked out.

It appeared to be contained and just slow burning.

02 Aug 2010 20:09 #3 by Residenttroll returns
Yea, they had alot of assets for a grass fire during a rain storm.

02 Aug 2010 20:22 #4 by CC

02 Aug 2010 20:30 #5 by Local_Historian
hey, if they provide turnout like this for every fire, we shouldn't complain.

03 Aug 2010 08:12 #6 by Residenttroll returns
Why is grass truck on C-470? Shouldn't it be deployed in the grass?

Notice the two "command" vehicles. Why?

Anyone else ever notice how many white cars West Metro owns (primarily sit at the HQ)? The other day I was in Lakewood Commons (a weekend) and I counted over 30 vehicles (cars or SUV) sitting at the West Metro HQ. I think they have more cars than Lakewood police.

03 Aug 2010 08:17 #7 by CC
They must be trying to imitate Platte Canyon Fire :)

03 Aug 2010 08:20 #8 by CC
74 acres burned yesterday. A hillside that all of us will have to look at for years to come on our way home from Denver. Why didn't they get a SEAT in there at the beginning to handle it.
I guess they do a decent job with house fires but not so good with grass and wildland fires.

03 Aug 2010 08:29 #9 by Residenttroll returns

Becky wrote: 74 acres burned yesterday. A hillside that all of us will have to look at for years to come on our way home from Denver. Why didn't they get a SEAT in there at the beginning to handle it.
I guess they do a decent job with house fires but not so good with grass and wildland fires.

From my vantage point at Bear Creek Park, they were fighting the fire like a little grass fire without recognizing the wind and the upslope vulnerabilities. I think that's the reason it blew up on the them. I wonder if they should have called the 285 Wildfire team immediately.

03 Aug 2010 09:14 #10 by The Viking

AV8OR wrote: We just drove by it around 7 pm. Looks like an appreciable amount of assets were on scene. I did not read or hear of the cause, but with it being so close to the highway, I wonder if it was a cigarette butthead flicked out.

It appeared to be contained and just slow burning.

I hope it wasn't. I wonder if they find a cigarette and find that it started a fire if they can get anything off it and track them down. Anyone who throws a cigarette out the window in Colorado should get a mandatory 30 days in jail at least!

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds