Five Myths About the Bush Tax Cuts

03 Aug 2010 12:05 #1 by pineinthegrass

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Aug 2010 14:51 #2 by ScienceChic
Thanks for this pine - this is the kind of analysis I like to see.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

03 Aug 2010 15:32 - 03 Aug 2010 16:50 #3 by LOL
The most fascinating thing to watch in this tax debate is the Democrats wanting to extend the tax cuts for everyone except the top 2 brackets. This after hearing for 8 years about how this was a tax cut "only" for the rich. So now they do like the lower 10% and 25% brackets, and the $1000/child credit, etc. etc. Its all so amusing to watch the reverse-spin.

What is really needed are even lower rates overall, simpler tax code, and get rid of 95% of the deductions. Good luck with that!

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

03 Aug 2010 15:41 #4 by netdude

Joe wrote: The most fascinating thing to watch in this tax debate is the Democrats wanting to extend the tax cuts for everyone except the top 2 brackets. This after hearing for 8 years about how this was a tax cut only for the rich. So now they do like the lower 10% and 25% brackets, and the $1000 child credit, etc. etc. Its all so amusing to watch the reverse-spin.

What is really needed are lower rates overall, simpler tax code, and get rid of 95% of the deductions. Good luck with that!

Actually the MOST fascinating thing is watching the republicans who are either are 1) In the top 2 tax brackets therefore greedy selfish pigs who don't really give a crap about anybody but themselves or 2) Naively support the people in '1)' even though the pigs in the top two brackets will just as soon pee on them than give them any sort of consideration.... and look up and thank them. The flat tax benefits the wealthy only....

03 Aug 2010 15:54 #5 by LOL
I am also fascinated by those on the left that seem to despise rich people. I will never likely be even close to the top two brackets, but I don't hate those people or want their money, its theirs!

The crazy tax code and deductions are the problem, not the rates. I didn't say flat rates, just lower across the board.

The tax code is not supposed to "benefit" anybody. It is only for raising the necessary revenues to fund the gov't services we all agree on and should be spread around fairly to all.

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

03 Aug 2010 18:25 #6 by netdude
I nor anyone I know on the left not hate the rich, I do quite well myself... but we just don't feel they need to be given some sort of break because if you read the article pineinthegrass posted, they don not take their tax breaks and hire people or any other such thing that helps the ecconomy..... many of the are greedy, and they do not support you 1/100 as much as you seem to support them.

03 Aug 2010 18:36 #7 by LOL
Sorry Netdude, I think you missed all my points. Thats ok, writing is difficult.
I do think the 2 top rates are going up and its probably necessary given the hole we are in.

Point 1: The Dems demagogued the "Bush tax cut for the Rich" for 8 years. Clearly there were some tax cuts for the "not rich" that they are going to fight to keep. I find this amusing and a reverse-spin.

Point 2: Tax deductions are where the real money is. Rich people don't pay taxes at these high rates on much of their income because of the complex tax code.

Peace!

08 Aug 2010 16:23 #8 by ScienceChic
This is an interesting article. What do you think? Does it say anything you hadn't considered before? Any good ideas?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38595223/ns ... inessweek/
The wisdom and folly of the Bush tax cuts
Americans can't have low taxes, high spending and stay solvent
By Peter Coy
updated 8/8/2010 12:49:12 PM ET

The Bush tax cuts of 2001 and 2003 embodied both wisdom and folly. The wise part was cutting rates in a way that increased incentives to work, save, and invest. The cuts came straight out of the economists' cookbook for achieving stronger economic growth. But setting tax rates without taking spending into consideration was pure folly. Washington lowered taxes while raising spending — an unsustainable combination in the long run.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Aug 2010 20:05 #9 by LOL
SC, I see one common theme that keeps popping up- deductions. It is a political tool to dole out candy. High rates are an illusion- almost nobody pays them. Accountants dream.

Too much energy devoted to "write-downs" and tax avoidance.

There is also the need to have everyone help pulling the wagon, not 50%.

Duck and hide now while the arrows fly. :)

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds