Some thoughts on change.

10 Aug 2010 23:25 #11 by brenda
Replied by brenda on topic Some thoughts on change.
As long as I can recall, there has been a very strong and distinct division between the Fairplay and Bailey sides. In fact, Fairplay has often suggested the Bailey side join Jefferson County. Hmmm. I don't understand why the County Seat is where the lesser population lives. We need to work together, since obviously we are all in this together.

THANK YOU FOR CHECKING THIS OUT! HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Aug 2010 23:30 #12 by AV8OR
Replied by AV8OR on topic Some thoughts on change.
The county seat, by statute, must reside in an incorporated city/town. Fairplay and Alma are the choices. It would be interesting to explore a "Mountain County" concept. I wonder if West Jefferson is feeling disenfranchised as much as the folks in Bailey are.

11 Aug 2010 15:50 #13 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Some thoughts on change.
AV80R, clearly I can't speak for anyone else, but we see great road care for the high taxes we pay in Jeffco. Hate the RTD tax since they (RTD) decided the 285 corridor was the red headed step child. Don't really feel part of Lakewood or any of the other cities, so we associate better with Park County.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

11 Aug 2010 16:37 #14 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Some thoughts on change.
I think all of you folks need to be aware that in the State of Colorado you must have at least 2 Square Miles of contiguous land in order to incorporate. Neither Bailey or Conifer has the required land not broken up by National Forest to incorporate in order to have a county seat. The idea had been thrown around for a lot of years, of forming a county composed of Bailey and Conifer due to the many differences in both areas from their County seat, Fairplay and Golden, The proposed name has always been jokingly called Bacon County! ( pun intended)

11 Aug 2010 16:41 #15 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Some thoughts on change.
All interesting ideas and issues to tackle.

I've heard that the money is in South Park, the people are east of Kenosha. Then I've heard the opposite.

Without a business base, how would we do this? Really, we have very few business up here that generate much in taxes. Broomfield and Centennial are well represented by businesses.

11 Aug 2010 16:50 #16 by pchistory
Replied by pchistory on topic Some thoughts on change.

brenda wrote: As long as I can recall, there has been a very strong and distinct division between the Fairplay and Bailey sides. In fact, Fairplay has often suggested the Bailey side join Jefferson County. Hmmm. I don't understand why the County Seat is where the lesser population lives. We need to work together, since obviously we are all in this together.

When Park County was first formed as one of the original seventeen counties in Colorado Territory, the total population of the "Bailey side" was probably about 10, while the population of the town of Fairplay was over 100. It wasn't much different when Fairplay was named the county seat in 1867. It's only been in recent years that the "Bailey side" has surpassed Fairplay in population and, given the requirements previously stated regarding Colorado county seats, a move is highly unlikely.

11 Aug 2010 17:01 #17 by Nic at Night
As a Bailey side person , I would go with Jeffco any day, better gov., roads and services. The old school boys hold the area back. I identify with Conifer more than Fairplay. How hard would it be to move into the future rather than be mucked up in the old politics of Park County?

11 Aug 2010 20:09 #18 by 40coupe
Replied by 40coupe on topic Some thoughts on change.
Fairly difficult, judging from the recent Primary election.

11 Aug 2010 22:44 #19 by AV8OR
Replied by AV8OR on topic Some thoughts on change.
Folks, I just had a good conversation with someone we all very much respect. Dr. Walpole is the catalyst in starting the domino effect. If you would SINCERELY like to know more, I will initiate a meeting discussion on the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3006

Come over to that thread and chime in on a meeting location and time.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds