Donor Decision debate....

21 Aug 2013 00:23 #11 by otisptoadwater

Blazer Bob wrote: Thanks for the kind words. This shows the dangers of msg boards. I should have put that in quotes. I just ment that I liked the turn of phrase. I expect my chocks to stay anchored for a while.

Fair seas and favorable winds to you BB, know that I regard you as a shipmate. What I read in your original post was resignation; never surrender, fight to the end. Make disease take your life from you and if/when it happens then ensure there are historical records documenting your suffrage.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Aug 2013 06:35 #12 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Donor Decision debate....
The subject (and my curiosity) came about because of an interview with a couple who had
lost their 13YO daughter to a ski accident.

They were relating their experience and their decisions and what they found was this......
that approx. 37% of the population are organ donors,BUT of those 37% only a handful per
hundred opt to/have the opportunity to actually meet the recipient.

THEY wanted to meet the recipients, and those individuals who received her heart (a nurse
with two children and had been on the "list" for two years) and a 30 something young man who
received her kidney(he had been on dialysis for 8 years and quality of life was so poor he rated
his body at 10%.....saying that he was so accustom to NOT feeling well and having a LOW
expectation of "normal" that everyday was an adjustment to a "new" normal.

In BOTH cases the quality of life was marginal and the donors "gift" was a REMARKABLE revision
to their lives. But, THE most poignant moment was when they displayed a picture of the nurse,who had brought a stethoscope and gave it to the mother,to LISTEN to her daughter's
heart pumping new life into her body.... :heart:

The young man, who was a cyclist BEFORE his illness,did a 500 mile marathon and donated the
money he made to the charity the parents had founded (for their daughter)......

I understand the controversy of organ donation and have listened to exposes of corruption and
greed within the medical arena.....BUT, when you can ACTUALLY see for yourself, the profound
transformations of peoples lives.......it just seems like the RIGHT thing to do. JMO

21 Aug 2013 07:32 #13 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Donor Decision debate....
I'm a donor, but not sure I'll have any good parts left worth salvaging.... maybe my left eye.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

21 Aug 2013 12:40 #14 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Donor Decision debate....
PLEASE be aware that organs are NOT the only thing that can save a life.....skin, tissue,cornea,
most everything can be a "gift" of life for someone whose life is hanging in the balance....(THAT
factor is sometimes overlooked/not understood.....they are even transplanting the whole of a
face....

21 Aug 2013 20:42 #15 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Donor Decision debate....
Black teen denied heart transplant due to low grades

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/12/b ... ow-grades/

Awhile ago, Republicans scream out at Canada's universal health care system as putting potential patients through a death panel which by the way is completely false, yet this shit happens in the USA. This is what happens when you allow the market/health care system the complete control over what it wants to do without regulations. I don't know why so many people believe a free market/total private health care is a good thing. It has time and again proven it isn't

21 Aug 2013 21:22 #16 by Reverend Revelant

Vice Lord wrote: Black teen denied heart transplant due to low grades

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/12/b ... ow-grades/

Awhile ago, Republicans scream out at Canada's universal health care system as putting potential patients through a death panel which by the way is completely false, yet this sh** happens in the USA. This is what happens when you allow the market/health care system the complete control over what it wants to do without regulations. I don't know why so many people believe a free market/total private health care is a good thing. It has time and again proven it isn't

And the rest of the story... on the same page...

It would seem you are all missing a very important piece to this story. For all her whining about the hospital not putting her son on the transplant waiting list because of low grades or trouble with the law she conveniently ignored the reality of the issue. The hospital informed her by letter that,

"Based on this meeting and discussion by our team, the decision was made that Anthony is CURRENTLY NOT a transplant candidate due to having a history of non-compliance, which is one of our center’s contraindications to listing for heart transplant. As we discussed today with Anthony’s mother, we will not place Anthony on the heart transplant waiting list AT THIS TIME due to this decision."

Non-compliance refers to the patient's commitment to adhere to the medical regimen following transplant surgery. In other words, you MUST take your medicines and show up for the medical check ups! Anthony's mother told My Fox Atlanta,

"We probably couldn’t get to the doctor visits because of transportation. I don’t have a car,” said Hamilton.

Come on people would you actually put this young man on the waiting list knowing there is a VERY HIGH CHANCE that the child won't adhere to the follow up care? They provided the mother with a attached letter from the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) that described the services and information offered to patients by UNOS and the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network.

Honestly, instead of fabricating a story that her son wasn't placed on the transplant waiting list immediately because of low grades and trouble with the law why didn't she reach out to the organizations and support groups that could help her to resolve the issues that resulted in the medical staff concluding that her son fell into the category of non-compliance.

And the headline was actually...

Black teen allegedly denied heart transplant due to low grades

Typical liberal tactic to change the story, the headline and not report on the full story.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

22 Aug 2013 07:24 #17 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Donor Decision debate....
What do you expect from an illiterate?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

22 Aug 2013 07:39 #18 by ScienceChic

Walter L Newton wrote: Typical liberal tactic to change the story, the headline and not report on the full story.

BS. Typical troll tactic to change the story so they can get a reaction out of you.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Aug 2013 07:50 #19 by Reverend Revelant

Science Chic wrote:

Walter L Newton wrote: Typical liberal tactic to change the story, the headline and not report on the full story.

BS. Typical troll tactic to change the story so they can get a reaction out of you.

Actually... that's the most action I've seen in months. I usually just go down to the laundromat and watch the clothes spin dry for that kind of thrill.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds