Donor Decision debate....

20 Aug 2013 16:14 #1 by homeagain
Are you a designated Organ Donor? If you are, what was the reason behind your decision?
If your are, would you want your relatives to be OPEN to the RECEIVING party? What would
be your reasons for/against that meeting?

If you are NOT an Organ Donor,what are your reasons for that decision....just VERY curious
about others POV, because my decision is and has ALWAYS been open to both questions....
I view the donor decision as the ULTIMATE gift one could give.....but apparently, slightly over
1/3 of the populace (37%) are organ donors and THAT number shocked me....I'm in the minority
and THAT seems odd to me......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Aug 2013 16:19 #2 by LadyJazzer
Yes....and, YES....

Like you, I view it as the "ultimate gift"...I don't have another reason...

And I certainly don't have any problems with relatives being open to the receiving party.

20 Aug 2013 16:52 #3 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Donor Decision debate....
I'm definitely a donor. I hope they strip me down for parts when I go. I love the idea of living on through others. If it would comfort my family, I think it would be great for them to meet the recipients.

20 Aug 2013 22:08 #4 by Mtn Gramma
I've recycled most of my life - why not do the ultimate recycle? I don't know if my kids and husband would be open to meeting the recipient but that would be their decision.

20 Aug 2013 22:27 #5 by otisptoadwater
Take what I haven't ruined, once I'm dead there's no reason for me to keep anything someone else can use to stay alive. Box up what ever is left over and plant it in the ground or burn it up and scatter the ashes, it won't matter to me one way or the other.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

20 Aug 2013 22:33 #6 by Blazer Bob

Mtn Gramma wrote: .... I don't know if my kids and husband would be open to meeting the recipient but that would be their decision.

I agree with that with an addendum. I am not on a registry and do not have a donor card. I want the unbiased decision that I am FUBAR to belong to my NOK. Not the guy calling the hospital administrator who's biggest donors brothers nephews cousins son needs a heart right now.

Too cynical? I do not think so.

20 Aug 2013 22:53 #7 by otisptoadwater

Blazer Bob wrote: I agree with that with an addendum. I am not on a registry and do not have a donor card. I want the unbiased decision that I am FUBAR to belong to my NOK. Not the guy calling the hospital administrator who's biggest donors brothers nephews cousins son needs a heart right now.

Fair, stick a fork in me and make sure I'm dead first. I'd even consent to handing over my life if my quality of life was to be in a vegetative state and/or dependent on life support equipment. When it gets to the point that I'm not demanding a beer and to see some female naked then it's time to pull the chocks and move on to whatever it is that happens next.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

20 Aug 2013 23:20 #8 by Blazer Bob

otisptoadwater wrote:

Blazer Bob wrote: I agree with that with an addendum. I am not on a registry and do not have a donor card. I want the unbiased decision that I am FUBAR to belong to my NOK. Not the guy calling the hospital administrator who's biggest donors brothers nephews cousins son needs a heart right now.

Fair, stick a fork in me and make sure I'm dead first. I'd even consent to handing over my life if my quality of life was to be in a vegetative state and/or dependent on life support equipment. When it gets to the point that I'm not demanding a beer and to see some female naked then it's time to pull the chocks and move on to whatever it is that happens next.

:yeahthat: Well said. Time to pull my chocks...

20 Aug 2013 23:46 #9 by otisptoadwater
Bob, I hope you aren't at that point. I'll add you to my prayers and keep you in my thoughts. No reason to rush to the ultimate end. Be well, keep a positive attitude, and do what you can to recover. I learned a long time ago (Fort Smith Panama SERE school circa 1980) that survival is 90% mental and 10% eating bugs/worms/snakes/snails and drinking questionable water while suffering in the all of the outdoors on the Equator. Ever had a nightmare about a Big Mac that turns out to be made of worms? Six day in to the "training" I did. Your mind can and will do wonders, never give up, improvise, adapt, and over come.

When/if the day comes (and I hope it's a long lime from today) know that I'll wish you a sincere ALFA MIKE FOXTROT(adios my friend).

21 Aug 2013 00:09 #10 by Blazer Bob

otisptoadwater wrote: Bob, I hope you aren't at that point. I'll add you to my prayers and keep you in my thoughts. No reason to rush to the ultimate end. Be well, keep a positive attitude, and do what you can to recover. I learned a long time ago (Fort Smith Panama SERE school circa 1980) that survival is 90% mental and 10% eating bugs/worms/snakes/snails and drinking questionable water while suffering in the all of the outdoors on the Equator. Ever had a nightmare about a Big Mac that turns out to be made of worms? Six day in to the "training" I did. Your mind can and will do wonders, never give up, improvise, adapt, and over come.

When/if the day comes (and I hope it's a long lime from today) know that I'll wish you a sincere ALFA MIKE FOXTROT(adios my friend).

Thanks for the kind words. This shows the dangers of msg boards. I should have put that in quotes. I just ment that I liked the turn of phrase. I expect my chocks to stay anchored for a while.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds