Iowa grants gun permits to the blind - Poll

08 Sep 2013 16:11 #1 by ScienceChic
Okay, I have to ask: where do you stand on this and why?

[url=http://www.usatoday.co:3vktsnok]Iowa grants gun permits to the blind [/url]
No one questions the legality of the permits, but some officials worry about public safety.
Jason Clayworth, The Des Moines Register
September 8, 2013

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Here's some news that has law enforcement officials and lawmakers scratching their heads:

Iowa is granting permits to acquire or carry guns in public to people who are legally or completely blind.

No one questions the legality of the permits. State law does not allow sheriffs to deny an Iowan the right to carry a weapon based on physical ability.

The quandary centers squarely on public safety. Advocates for the disabled and Iowa law enforcement officers disagree over whether it's a good idea for visually disabled Iowans to have weapons.

Private gun ownership — even hunting — by visually impaired Iowans is nothing new. But the practice of visually impaired residents legally carrying firearms in public became widely possible thanks to gun permit changes that took effect in Iowa in 2011.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Sep 2013 16:17 #2 by Blazer Bob
Clearly anyone who opposes this is a bigot who hates blind and visually impaired people.

08 Sep 2013 16:36 #3 by FredHayek
It scares me that some states will give out CHL's to people without a live fire test, but the blind are already pretty vulnerable to crime, and they do need protection.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

08 Sep 2013 16:50 #4 by HEARTLESS
Persons considered legally blind may be subject to more danger from criminals than sighted persons, why not grant them the ability to better defend themselves? Since 2011, when the law took effect, how many innocent persons have been shot? Using a gun in defense of ones life is the last resort, even blind (not visually impaired) liberals can probably grasp this. :smackshead:

The silent majority will be silent no more.

08 Sep 2013 17:04 #5 by ScienceChic
"May be subject to more danger" is key. How many blind or visually impaired people have been attacked versus non-impaired? Is it a similar or higher percentage? Of those times that they were attacked, would a gun have helped them or not?

Does the increased safety risk justify the increased defense capability? This has nothing to do with "liberal" vs "conservative" - this is about safety vs the right to carry in public only - not own or not own.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

08 Sep 2013 17:10 #6 by otisptoadwater
I'll admit up front that I have one leg on either side of the fence.

If you can't see what you're shooting at then there's no reason to shoot because you don't know what you are shooting at. On the other hand does impaired vision alter anyone's rights under the laws of the land? I say it's not against the law for a person with impaired vision to own or open carry a weapon even if it's for the single reason that they have that right under the second amendment. Should it be illegal for the same individuals to own a car or a chainsaw? Just because they own other assets doesn't mean that they operate them.

That being said, I agree with others that there should be a mandatory demonstration of competency on an annual basis supervised by qualified instructors for anyone who has a permit to carry a weapon in public, open or concealed.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

08 Sep 2013 17:27 #7 by HEARTLESS
Sighted persons have two times that their personal safety is at greatest risk, poor light conditions outside their home, and sleeping in their home. In their own home, the blind person gains a huge advantage over the criminal in poor light conditions as that is a constant for them. Your question presumes an increased safety risk to others. Violence against persons with disabilities data exists, does innocent persons shot by the blind exist or is it theorized only?

08 Sep 2013 17:47 #8 by HEARTLESS
Criminals and predators (animal world) share some distinct commonalities. They both prey more heavily on the young, old and weak (at least perceived). Virtually any documented source will confirm this.

08 Sep 2013 17:52 #9 by ScienceChic
I don't know, that's why I'm asking. I'm guessing that that data is available somewhere. Regardless, this law applies specifically and only to public carry, so the increased safety risk comes only if a gun is actually used by a visually impaired person in an unsafe manner in public. I don't see that as being a huge issue, but concerning for many nonetheless.

That blind people would be permitted to carry in public is yet another question - how would a blind person safely shoot a target in a crowd of people? Assuming they are not in a crowd, and only confronted by a single perpetrator on a street, for example - is it really effective for a blind person to carry a gun as a deterrent, or would that be inviting trouble? Is it a risk that many blind people would take in taking a shot in public?

I just don't know. That's why I presented this as a poll because I am truly curious as to what you all thought.

08 Sep 2013 18:21 #10 by otisptoadwater
One of the primary reasons I'm on the fence is because of the issues you sight, it wouldn't be safe to just randomly shoot in the direction of a perceived target especially in a crowd. Up close, one on one I'd be afraid that the weapon could be used against the owner and I think that the risk of that happening is higher for someone who can't see an assailant coming. I think the discussion has gone from the 10,000 foot level down into a very specific scenario.

Can we zoom back out and consider the idea of visually impaired and/or blind people being allowed to get a permit to carry a weapon in public? IMHO, with the correct training, it can be done safely and there is a 2nd amendment right to do so. I would be interested to hear from someone who is actually in the position of wanting to apply for an open carry permit but being told they can't have one due to their visual impairment.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds