Iowa grants gun permits to the blind - Poll

09 Sep 2013 07:33 #21 by The Boss
It is an object, Americans can own objects.

Using them for different purposes is another story.

I would figure before we would restrict blind folks from owning guns (thus being prejudiced against them by law), we would have laws that restrict people that can see from shooting in the dark. Are their any such laws?

My sense is that there may be laws that say you must know what you are shooting at, that you cannot shoot willy nilly. If such a law exists, this issue has already been addressed. The blind people are already legally restricted from shooting the gun.

Owning a gun is for way more than shooting. I have noticed many gun owners showing their guns off or appreciating them without shooting them.

Perhaps the blind people are just concerned that lists of gun owners will get published and they don't want to be off this list because of the danger. So perhaps they are just owning the gun to deter criminals, without ever using it. Isn't that what many guns are used for?

And lastly, if anyone has any cases of blind people shooting people they should not of, please post them here...and if this is actionable, please include a few dozen examples.

This is non news. What's next....candles. If we are going to talk about this, should blind people even be able to live by themselves? I say yes, with their guns.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Sep 2013 07:38 #22 by FredHayek
Some good points above. I know a fair number of people who carry concealed. Most shootings happen in the dark. I don't know anyone who has a flashlight mounted to their concealed carry piece but I do know people who carry flashlights and have night sights mounted.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Sep 2013 13:58 #23 by KJack
If I was blind and alone Im pretty sure my weapon of choice would be an illegal sawed off shotty.I would deal with the consequences if I was ever in a position of having to use it.But like Otis said - a big mean dog would be best.

09 Sep 2013 19:31 #24 by otisptoadwater

KJack wrote: If I was blind and alone Im pretty sure my weapon of choice would be an illegal sawed off shotty.I would deal with the consequences if I was ever in a position of having to use it.But like Otis said - a big mean dog would be best.

Porque no los dos (why not both)? Let the dog be your alternative to a perimeter alarm system for the house, the dog will go off when the thugs shut their car doors a couple hundred feet away from the house. A perimeter alarm system for your house only goes off when the perimeter has been breached and even with battery backup it will only last for so long in a power outage. How far is it from the window or door that just got kicked in? Will you have time to get to your weapon, load it, and prepare to engage the bad guy(s) as they enter the room you're in? Now imagine having to do all that with reduced sight or none all together. Sure the alarm is letting the cops know that you have a problem but how close are they?

Having the extra time to prepare when the dog barks is something I value even when all the dog is alerting me to is native wildlife transiting "my" property. The only thing I will add is that it's important to reward the dog consistently for the behaviors you want from the dog, telling the dog something like "shut up, the Broncos are on!" is confusing for most dogs. From the dog's perspective he/she/it is just doing what you've rewarded them for doing over and over in the past. So the dog says "Do you want to know about the blacked out Suburban with US Gubment plates pulling into the driveway or not?"

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

09 Sep 2013 23:42 #25 by Rick

KJack wrote: If I was blind and alone Im pretty sure my weapon of choice would be an illegal sawed off shotty.I would deal with the consequences if I was ever in a position of having to use it.But like Otis said - a big mean dog would be best.

:rofllol "IF" you were blind? :rofllol When it comes to a weapon, shall I refresh your memory of that last trip? :biggrin: Sorry, had to get you on that one.

You gonna give em some windmill utopia nonsense again before you go? :pop :rofllol

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

10 Sep 2013 08:40 - 01 Oct 2014 22:34 #26 by KJack
:camper: its been fun asshat!

I won't bring up your halibut f*** up since I don't want to hurt your rep tough guy!

But seriously thanks for the hospitality and Ill see you next year. :memorial:

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds