The Black Sheep of the Family

07 Aug 2010 19:18 #1 by major bean
Do you have a relative that, because of his/her past, is shunned by your family? This used to be quite common quite a few years ago

Uncle Udell was one of our black sheep. Udell loved game cock fighting and exaggeration. There was always a story to be told about him at every family gathering. To me this seemed quite the contradiction. Everyone loved stories about Udell and laughed mightily at whatever it was the latest caper. The laughter was always about his latest display of wit, disaster at the chicken fights, tallest tale told, or contradiction. His two sons (my cousins) and I were fast friends through high school. We ran together at all times, rode bulls in the rodeo, hauled hay, drank, chased girls. Being around Udell enriched my life.

Regards,
Major Bean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2010 13:02 #2 by Local_Historian
I have an uncle like that as well - he's only 13 years older than me, so it was interesting. He worked only to have money to play, had a beautiful corvette (and threatened the lives of all the cousins of they touched it), and he had a lot of girlfriends. When I was 19, I went back to visit and on the first night took me out to a bar - upset my grandmother. Then he took me back to his house, told me all the stuff he did at my age, and about how they went to this one motorcycle event with a light up sign that said "show us your *radio edit since this isn't the ring* and he had photo albums full of pics of girls who had flashed them.

He's an old married guy now, settled down so no longer the black sheep, but he had a lot of fun in his 20s and 30s!

I guess then my dad became the black sheep, because he moved us out of NY and away from family. My great gram never forgave him.

08 Aug 2010 16:56 #3 by major bean

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds