When to unfriend a pal on Facebook

13 Aug 2010 18:11 #1 by outdoor338
I don't use facebook, but know many who do and hear all kinds of complaints, just some suggestions to be wary of:

We don't care that Mary found a lonely brown cow on her farm.

We don't care that you're having yet another fight with your wife.

We got on Facebook to connect with your real life, hear about your kids or your latest promotion, not about your "life" as some kind of mobster who found the location of the secret stash and wants to share the loot.

Facebook is the most popular social networking site on the Web, recently hitting a half-billion active users. With all of those users, it's easy for friends to reconnect and stay up to date, to plan reunions and even search for employment.

But with the good (reinvigorating friendships, networking) comes the bad ("Farmville," "Mafia Wars," caustic commenting). That's when it's important to know how to use the block feature or, when someone has gotten on your last virtual nerve, how to "unfriend" them.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/10 ... nchO7DiUsr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2010 18:15 #2 by chocolove
Yep, I just spent my spare time unfriending all my mafia war's buddies...ran out of time to play and it was too frustrating and then I shut down all the apps I don't want to play or see so I can actually see important posts.

13 Aug 2010 18:17 #3 by dummy up
I would unfriend as soon as possible, but I am not on Facebook.Maybe best for me.

13 Aug 2010 20:37 #4 by ShilohLady
You can block those games without un-friending...

14 Aug 2010 08:26 #6 by Grady

chocolove wrote: Yep, I just spent my spare time unfriending all my mafia war's buddies...ran out of time to play and it was too frustrating and then I shut down all the apps I don't want to play or see so I can actually see important posts.

:yeahthat:

14 Aug 2010 08:44 #7 by chocolove
Yep shiloh....I am blocking games all the time! Except Zoo World for the moment! LOL! Gotta have some fun!

16 Aug 2010 07:50 #8 by FredHayek
Like posted above, you can ignore the game posts. I like Facebook to connect with old friends, and husbands/wives fighting on Facebook can be fun. One of my Farmville friends was looking for a item and his wife told him to get a life instead, ha, ha.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Aug 2010 09:44 #9 by Mtn Gramma
Several of my friends are into the game apps, so I've blocked the apps and can still "keep up" with them otherwise.

16 Aug 2010 23:19 #10 by Local_Historian
See, I don't have anyone on my friends list that isn't a friend or colleague. If their games annoy me, I choose to ignore the game stuff, not the friend.

CERTAIN couples get as squishy on facebook as they do other places - he he he!

I did get a friend invite from Juliette Capulet- but I don't want to get in the middle of that family war.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds