Poll: Confederate Flag On Georgia License Plates

20 Feb 2014 08:29 #1 by ScienceChic
It's an Associated Press article so I can't quote any of it, you'll have to click the link to read it.

So what do you think? Is it important to preserve our heritage, even the ugliest most reprehensible things done in the history of this country, in order to remember and learn from it or is something like this best forgotten and offensive to display everywhere in public?

Is the real issue that we celebrate being divided, rather than how far we've come in improvements in human rights?

Confederate Flag To Appear On New Georgia License Plates
February 19, 2014

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Feb 2014 08:37 #2 by FredHayek
Slavery was only legal under the Stars & Bars for four years. It was legal under the Stars and Stripes for eighty years. Should the Stars and Stripes also be banned from being on license plates?
Just because some real assholes have stolen the rebel flag for their purposes, it shouldn't be banned.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Feb 2014 10:27 #3 by Reverend Revelant
How about "support the troops" plates? Should we get rid of that? It probably offends those that think America and it's industrial military complex has swarmed the world over oppressing people and killing them.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

20 Feb 2014 13:27 #4 by Photo-fish
We always supported the troops, just not the idiots in power that sent them over there.
Nice deflection though. :ThumbsUp:

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

20 Feb 2014 14:26 #5 by Ronbo
Yeah right. You just keep telling that lie and maybe someday people will believe it.

20 Feb 2014 15:20 #6 by Photo-fish
Well I know that the ones we send care packages to believe it. I don't really care if you believe it or not. :Patriot:

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

20 Feb 2014 15:24 #7 by Photo-fish
Back on topic. I don't care what you put on your license plate, bumper, rear window, etc.. As long as I retain the right to not have to put anything on mine. If I don't want a confederate flag on my license plate, I will pay the cost to have one with a trout or a mountain on it instead. Big friggin' deal.

20 Feb 2014 15:57 #8 by Engineer2207
Could be a difficult question, SC. I think the reason why they want the flag, is most people are proud of their Southern heritage. I don't think that most people even associate it with the slavery issue etc, with the exception of those hard core fools on both sides the like to perpetuate the issue.

20 Feb 2014 16:04 #9 by Reverend Revelant

Photo-fish wrote: We always supported the troops, just not the idiots in power that sent them over there.
Nice deflection though. :ThumbsUp:

It wasn't a deflection, it was simply an analogy. And it sounded like you took that awful personally, obviously it wasn't intended for you, or anyone in particular.

But the fact remains there are people who are offended by about anything now a days and when do we draw the line? And what line to we draw?

Personally I don't like what the confederate flag stood for. But I think it has become a cultural icon the same as folks wearing Che tee shirts or checkered bandannas. Are those people promoting insurrection who wear those items?

If you wear a cowboy hat, does that mean you hate Native Americans?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

20 Feb 2014 17:16 #10 by otisptoadwater

No laws have been passed prohibiting the display of the Confederate flag, at least not yet...

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds