Dems in Distress - Maureen Dowd

16 Mar 2014 22:39 #1 by Blazer Bob
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/opini ... .html?_r=0

"WASHINGTON — Scott Brown, the Republican who admitted he wore pink leather shorts on his first date with his wife-to-be, is back.

And Democrats are scared to death.

It’s not that Democrats are particularly scared that the 54-year-old former Massachusetts senator is going to get elected as a New Hampshire senator — although it’s conceivable that a charming, carpetbagging, middling politician could jump across the border and unseat Jeanne Shaheen.

But Shaheen is popular, and strategists don’t think that flinty “Live Free or Die” voters will welcome the Boston transplant with open arms.

This is what’s really freaking out Democrats: They know that Brown, after making some real money working for Fox News since his loss to Elizabeth Warren two years ago, wouldn’t even be getting into the race if the political environment weren’t so toxic for Democrats.

Republicans have been white-hot for Brown to get in, and he finally pulled the trigger Friday, establishing an exploratory committee and asserting that “the Obamacare Democrats are on the wrong side” of a big political wave.

G.O.P. leaders think that even if Brown can’t win, he will force Democrats to spend a bunch of money in New Hampshire and curtail what they can spend in other more crucial races like Colorado, Alaska, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, North Carolina and Michigan.

Brown jumping in was just one blast of bad news for Democrats. They also lost a special election last Tuesday in Florida by a hair, a defeat David Plouffe called “a screaming siren.” ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Mar 2014 23:10 #2 by LadyJazzer
Yeah, they're really worried.

The oppo-material writes itself... Beaten badly in the first major election by Elizabeth Warren... And the word "carpetbagger" has such a nice ring to it. They'll make a loop of all the times Brown said, "I'm from Massachusetts", and just run it non-stop...

Nice to see a man who doesn't know his own limitations...They can add him to the list of Christine "I'm Not A Witch" O'Donnell, Sharron "2nd Amendment Remedies" Angle, and that whack-job from Canada that's running again, Joe Miller... :LMAO: :rofllol

PLEASE... GOP...Waste your money on Brown... :LMAO: :rofllol

17 Mar 2014 08:38 #3 by Venturer
lol It looks like some real uphill battles for the Dems.
From the article

...With the health care sign-up period coming to an end this month, Democrats in Congress are looking over at the White House and realizing that the president is not only incapable of saving them, but he looks like a big anchor tied around their necks....

...Obama’s approval ratings will shape the midterms, and some Hill observers compare his crumpling numbers to an illness. The president didn’t do the basic things to take care of himself, and now he’s gone terminal and contagious...

...Republicans have latched on to this to make the case around the country that Obama is a dictator and an imperial president. But governing through executive order isn’t a sign of strength. It’s a sign of weakness.

And it’s that weakness that has Democrats scared to death.

17 Mar 2014 10:32 #4 by FredHayek
That Florida election with an extremely damaged GOP candidate running against one of the Dem's bright shining star females? The Dems spent 3 to 1 and still lost the race by a percentage point. And irony? the Dem denounced ACA and said it needs to be rebuilt, and she still lost!

:NoNo: Even when the Dems denounce Obama's keystone achievement, they still can't win.
:HighFive:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Mar 2014 11:16 #5 by Rick
Looks like the Dems need our king to use his pen again. Hmm, what's left to give away or what laws can Obama change that will satisfy those voters who finally woke up? Maybe Pelosi can do a special public service announcement to tell us why higher premiums and less choices are better for us.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Mar 2014 11:49 #6 by FredHayek
Obama Lie #2,999,045: The White House said today that Obama would be an asset in the 2014 elections for Democrats. (Only if he stays very far away, 40% approval rates.)

17 Mar 2014 11:58 #7 by whitegp
Congratulations to Republicans for managing to win a district they've held for 30 years with less than 50% of the total vote. How is this a referendum on the ACA. Call it spin and pretend that a heavily Republican district coming within 2 points of electing a Democrat for the first time since early in the Reagan administration is a huge victory for the Republican party.
A District that elected a Repub by 15 points 2 years ago.

I think every President should campaign for their party.
I can hardly wait for George Bush to campaign for Gardner.
Or are the Repubs still to embarassed to let him out of his playpen in Crawford.

17 Mar 2014 12:43 #8 by Blazer Bob

whitegp wrote: Congratulations to Republicans for managing to win a district they've held for 30 years with less than 50% of the total vote. How is this a referendum on the ACA. Call it spin and pretend that a heavily Republican district coming within 2 points of electing a Democrat for the first time since early in the Reagan administration is a huge victory for the Republican party.

Or are the Repubs still to embarassed to let him out of his playpen in Crawford.

You need to school David Plouffe and Maureen Dowd, both notorious right wing propagandists.

17 Mar 2014 13:13 #9 by Rick

BlazerBob wrote:

whitegp wrote: Congratulations to Republicans for managing to win a district they've held for 30 years with less than 50% of the total vote. How is this a referendum on the ACA. Call it spin and pretend that a heavily Republican district coming within 2 points of electing a Democrat for the first time since early in the Reagan administration is a huge victory for the Republican party.

You need to school David Plouffe and Maureen Dowd, both notorious right wing propagandists.

Yup, even Robert Gibbs (now that he's off the payroll) is saying the Dems are in trouble. Obama would walk through fire I'm sure, in order to help his Dems keep power... but since these Dems are not asking him to, even the brightest people on the left should understand what that means.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Mar 2014 13:38 #10 by FredHayek

This isn't Fox News saying that the Dems are in trouble, it is solid liberal news people.

I am on several Dem and Republican e-mail fundraising lists and the Dems are sounding much more desperate, especially Sen. Al Franken. Four e-mails in three days from him.
The other surprise are the Udall's from Colorado and New Mexico. Both were leading in the last polls I saw, but their internal polling much be much worse, because they are sounding very worried.
I know the Republicans can blow any sure thing, but it is strange to see the panic so soon from the Left.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds