another outrage

12 Apr 2014 18:32 #1 by Blazer Bob
another outrage was created by Blazer Bob
Thank god a dem holds the white house, otherwise this could be a scandal.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/04/11/uncle ... ice-to-col

"Holding children responsible for the debt incurred by their parents is a feature of historical feudalism and a few modern third-world shitholes.

Developed countries, by and large, assume that a debt dies with the person who willingly incurred it, or at least stops with his or her estate. "By and large," I write, because the U.S. government has broken with centuries of tradition"...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Apr 2014 18:43 #2 by archer
Replied by archer on topic another outrage
One of those crazy stupid things that happen when laws are changed.... Unintended consequences. This is actually an outrage, and I hope they back off and give the woman back her money

12 Apr 2014 19:13 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic another outrage

archer wrote: One of those crazy stupid things that happen when laws are changed.... Unintended consequences. This is actually an outrage, and I hope they back off and give the woman back her money

I am pleased that we have found something to agree on. This is a outrage.

We differ on the reason, it is not because a law was changed. It happened because the government has become a behemoth that must be fed.

12 Apr 2014 19:25 #4 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic another outrage
:sarcasm: How is this any different from the Chinese model of collecting debt? The Chinese Gubment had to execute your parent or grand parent or other relative because they didn't conform to the rigors and policies of the Communist Gubment, here's your bill for the bullet and labor expended by the executioner and the jailors as well as the cost for detaining and interrogating your justly deceased family member.

Sarcasm aside, it seems a bit late to collect a debt that was incurred so long ago. Is this a harbinger of things to come that we should expect from the last years of Obama's reign or is this the IRS operating out of control?

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

12 Apr 2014 19:35 #5 by Blazer Bob
FEED ME!

..."No one seems eager to take credit for reopening all these long-closed cases. A Social Security spokeswoman says the agency didn’t seek the change; ask Treasury. Treasury says it wasn’t us; try Congress. Congressional staffers say the request probably came from the bureaucracy.

The only explanation the government provides for suddenly going after decades-old debts comes from Social Security spokeswoman Dorothy Clark: “We have an obligation to current and future Social Security beneficiaries to attempt to recoup money that people received when it was not due.”...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... ml?hpid=z1

12 Apr 2014 19:42 #6 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic another outrage
I'll openly confess that my political views are a bit myopic and parochial but if there was ever a case of "feed the pig that is the Federal Gubment" this has to be it. You have money, we need money so hand it over because someone in your family owed money decades ago and the accounts were settled but we're opening them again. Pay up sucker!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

12 Apr 2014 20:55 #7 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic another outrage
Only makes sense. The country operates on the model currently that your kids will have to pay the debts that have been racked up for the last 100 years.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 Apr 2014 21:22 #8 by Blazer Bob

archer wrote: One of those crazy stupid things that happen when laws are changed.... Unintended consequences. This is actually an outrage, and I hope they back off and give the woman back her money

No worries. The government has our best interests at heart.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/04/11/s ... ity-debts/

14 Apr 2014 05:25 #9 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic another outrage
What does the 10yr debt law statute of limitations have to do with the Agriculture bill anyway? And no, it is not simply a crazy unintended consequence of a law, this admin re-writes laws on the fly, and enforces whatever ones they want to.

stealing grandmas tax refund!

#Ridiculous

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

14 Apr 2014 09:25 #10 by whitegp
Replied by whitegp on topic another outrage

The 2008 Farm Bill gave the Treasury Department permission to collect on debts more than 10 years old, and since 2011, it’s been doing so with gusto. This year, the Social Security Administration has found 400,000 taxpayers who, it says, collectively owe $714 million to the government for debts that have been lingering more than a decade.

So
The culprits include every congressman and senator that passed the 2008 Farm bill.
Every congress since but especially every congress since 2011 when it became clear that the SS admin was agressively chasing down these debts.
The heads of the SSA who could at any moment have gone to the speaker of the house and explained the problem(speaking very slowly of course). Since congress has been by any standard inactive they had a ripe opportunity to actually do something. Perhaps in that last Farm Bill?

Obama cannot contact the IRS by law. So the only relief from this fiasco needs to start with congress. The orange overlord Boener isn't doing anything perhaps he can help.

It is sad that not only does the country have to suffer from a congress that has done nothing to advance the country but that is too inept to fix screwups from the past.
Single digit approval rating, they have earned it.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds